You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Re: You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

Post by SouthernLady »

Ah, yes... the positives of being single and in the middle of a slow restoration project.

If I want it painted, stained, torn off, or put on, I just ask myself. :)

You might be an old home owner if...

.........the idea of a shiny white kitchen makes you feel very, very sad. (I want that oak Hoosier kitchen!!)

.........you are seriously entertaining the thought of removing the handles and covering up you brand new, fancy-pants refrigerator with oak and disguising it as a huge icebox.

.........You have multiple cans of wasp spray in your pantry and seem to be going through one a week this time of year as the wasps make their way inside by some known-only-to-God entry point. :shock:

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

another advantage, I was mulling over last night, is that if the project runs late, or even turns into a multiple day deal. You dont have the stress of a partner objecting to the mess and late nights or reminding you that "it would be done in a day"
Mick...

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

You might be an old home owner if...

... you have to explain to multiple people a day "No, that's not grey hair. I was painting the soffits with oil paint and..."

Anyone know how to easily remove oil paint from hair? :wave:

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Sara wrote:You might be an old home owner if...

... you have to explain to multiple people a day "No, that's not grey hair. I was painting the soffits with oil paint and..."

Anyone know how to easily remove oil paint from hair? :wave:

If it has dried, you are lookign at scissors. If it hasnt, use mineral spirits
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

often if I can't get stuff off my hands like crazy glue, epoxy, contact cement, I smother my hands in hand moisturizer and then wipe it off with paper towels a couple of times. if it is severe I put gloves on with the moisturizer. something like that might work? if it's grey it might not actually be paint though ;-)

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

phil wrote:If it's grey it might not actually be paint though ;-)

Lol.. it's BRIGHT white primer. I usually just let it eventually wash out but it takes about three weeks. :D

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Sara wrote:
phil wrote:If it's grey it might not actually be paint though ;-)

Lol.. it's BRIGHT white primer. I usually just let it eventually wash out but it takes about three weeks. :D

ah good , you have the first coat down. Now you have color choices to make for the topcoat ;-) I bet it looks adorable ;-)

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

phil wrote:ah good , you have the first coat down. Now you have color choices to make for the topcoat ;-) I bet it looks adorable ;-)

:lol:
Yes, super cute. To be sure.

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

Nicholas wrote:You Might Be an Old Home Owner if... you find yourself using Ancestry.com to bother a bunch of old people you never even met about the history of your house.

I have a subscription. Two trees. My family & my Houses' family!
I totally get it!
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

phil wrote:over the summer things changed as I got together with my high school friend. we had been friends for a long time. I asked her if she'd like to move down and she did. we had this deep history as we were great friends but because of her family she got kind of taken away. we were not really girlfriend and boyfriend but there were feelings. I never saw her for 30 years! from 20 to 50 ish lol.. we grew up , but the dynamics of our friendship and love didn't change. she has 4 kids and grandkids so I missed all that but didn't ave my own kids.
Im really happy now. She does a lot of things to make the house a home. she might not do construction but she helps me in so many ways and that is her contribution, and I discuss every project in detail. I think I needed not the help so much as someone that I could plan things with and talk about the details and work towards having a happy home together. It sure helps when you work hard at something and you get that little compliment that gives you the drive to keep going. This forum helps a lot with that.
If you haven't met anyone yet just keep doing what you are doing and take time to get out and socialize in some way. You'll meet the right one and it does matter that you share common interests. at 50'ish you get kinda set in your ways and you can't change for others, but there are lots of ladies that like working on houses or at least appreciate a man with some ambitions.

So very interesting reading your comments. I recently began dating a man just up the street. He has 18 acres about 2 miles South, with an old home in need of "lots of work".
His son owns the house up the street & he stays there for now because it's closer to work. He's been there for 4 years, but our paths didn't cross because of our work schedules.
At 57 years old, I often said to myself "Unless someone just shows up knocking on my door, I doubt I'll meet my mate". Well, that's pretty close!

Funny how the right person comes along when you least expect it. And a big plus...he's an electrical engineer. Great guy, great job, total gentleman (doors & chairs!) and he loves old, quirky houses!

So far my Peeps haven't scared him away! :lol:

So...You might be an Old House owner.... If your "Peeps" accept your new BF/GF! (I know they would let me know if they didn't approve!)

....When coworkers ask if your house is finished yet & your standard reply has become "never".
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow