What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Don M

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Don M »

Mick_VT wrote:got this shutter disassembled, stripped of paint, repaired and put back together again, well ok, I started it yesterday, but got it back together today :D Next up will be its pair, then that will be me done with shutters this year, they are time consuming in the extreme to rebuild.

Your shutter looks super; I also like the terrific equipment it's leaning against! The wall papered room also looks good! :thumbup:

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Mick_VT wrote:
WildGeeseLn wrote:It's actually available online :)
http://www.nps.gov/subjects/culturallan ... cument.pdf

Woohooo! Thank you for sharing that..

You know what, this would look great in the library! <hint> <hint> :clap: :clap:

Great! I will check this out, thanks!---Mal

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Don M wrote:Your shutter looks super; I also like the terrific equipment it's leaning against! The wall papered room also looks good! :thumbup:

Thanks! Yeah those are my toys, the little Delta bandsaw is useful for no end of little jobs, I inherited it from my wife's grandfather. Its age coupled with the fact it is a hobby saw means I cant buy any spares for it, but so far I have been able to keep it running. The mortiser was a new acquisition earlier this year, I cant believe how many jobs I have suddenly decided I absolutely need it for (considering I never had one before lol). The wallpaper... well, my workshop is in the former owner's bedroom :lol:
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I was hoping to fiberglass my porch but we had strong rain and winds, they pulled my tarps down and aggravated my attempts. Lots of power outages and trees down all over, so I got off easy.

I did get all the sheeting down, and glued and nailed cant strips around the perimeter. I got a bit fussy with the bondo and hid the screw holes and wiped a bit of bondo all along where the floor meets the cant strips to get rid of the hard corners, easier for the glass to lay down and it will be easier to sweep.

despite my best efforts to keep the deck surface dry, the wind and rain did get it at least a little wet so Ill have to let it dry and continue as soon as the weather gets better. I can't stick my glass to wet plywood.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

you should be able to do some resawing with the bandsaw. I work on lots of the new General international equipment and it is really taiwanese garbage. If you look for more equipment look for older General stuff but avoid General International stuff. Its painted the same green, like many other companies, they flocked to the orient in search of cheaper manufacturing at the expense of weak rough castings and the cheapest metric bolts I have ever seen.

Delta also became really hard to get any parts out of them as they are in the process of moving factories to I think do exactly the same and sell chinese junk under the Delta name. Probably most of it is still in stock somewhere and you shouldn't need too many parts. It's hard to get good new equipment .Sadly all the machine manufacturers all going to china now so about hte only good stuff you can get is german or italian made and that is pricey.

I'd take a 20 year old model of almost any machine compared to a new taiwanese one.
I doubt you are going to use the morticer enough to wear it out or anything. It's nice to have one at home. Just don't hammer on the castings , because of the porosity and quality of the cast they are surprisingly weak. and if you go to get new bearings go to a bearing place with the numbers off the bearing rather than refitting made in china bearings. same with switches and things, try to replace them with US made ones when they fail. They are experts at making things look strong and I see a lot of things like plastic parts that look like chrome but then when they break you realize they are shiny plastic parts that are chromed, not even metal parts.

jharkin
Stalwart

Post by jharkin »

I took the whole week off to continue the TV den redo. In addition to rebuilding those windows we are also repainting the entire room (color change).

There is a built in next to the fireplace and the shelves in it where cheap old sagging particleboard shelf stock. First order of business was to make a new set of decent shelves. I got some 1x12 poplar from the lumberyard and cut that to size adding a beaded edge with the router. Also added some blocking in the back of the cabinet to help prevent them from sagging again (the "sagulator" says I'm just under the acceptable span limit)

2015-08-31 10.36.25_resize.jpg
2015-08-31 10.36.25_resize.jpg (39.07 KiB) Viewed 26375 times

After that I took the doors out to the garage for painting, moved all the furniture, taped, and so forth.

2015-08-31 13.52.42_resize.jpg
2015-08-31 13.52.42_resize.jpg (86.66 KiB) Viewed 26375 times

Many many hours of spackling, sanding, washing later we managed to get a coat of primer up. Ive been using InslX Stix bonding primer when doing color changed on old semigloss/eggshell so I don't have to deal with sanding, deglossing, etc. works well. (but it stinks of ammonia... wear the mask)

2015-08-31 17.32.21_resize.jpg
2015-08-31 17.32.21_resize.jpg (88.36 KiB) Viewed 26375 times

Tomorrow Ill paint the ceiling and do any need caulking. Probably strip and cleanup the windowsills and try to get more work done on the sash. Ill wait till Wednesday to start painting the walls to let the primer cure good.
Last edited by jharkin on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeremy

1790~1800ish Center Chimney Cape

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks took a couple of weeks off, now at Gothichome. What I've been doing is lifting floor boards and chasing knob and tube. Gezzzzzz what a nasty job. Pictures at eleven. Once again non glanorous stuff only one circuit left to change our. Oh, started another window as well.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I installed ship lap siding on my 'carport' (actually, it's a leaning shack!) and stained it...cleaned up a bunch of moss off a shaded part of the driveway, mowed my and my neighbor's lawns (they are a couple--she's 88, he's 89) with my push mower then met a friend and enjoyed a honkin' big ice cream cone without an ounce of guilt!

...jade

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Well folks took a couple of weeks off, now at Gothichome. What I've been doing is lifting floor boards and chasing knob and tube. Gezzzzzz what a nasty job. Pictures at eleven. Once again non glanorous stuff only one circuit left to change our. Oh, started another window as well.

:popcorn:
Mick...

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

WildGeeseLn wrote:I'm a historic and cultural landscape preservationist, and I happened to have worked on historic orchard preservation projects for the park service. A great resource I found is called "A fruitful Legacy". It details the historic orchards at Capitol Reef National Park in Utah. It also has a ton of info on historic apples species (great photos of all), revitalization techniques and orchard design. I got it from the Olmsted Center for Historic Preservation, NPS, Boston, but I think it might be available for the public. If anyone is interested in historic landscapes, historic garden restoration etc. we could start a thread or private message me. It makes my day :)

National parks in Utah top my favorite places in the world, and I love Capitol Reef. I had no idea there were apples there. I would be extremely appreciative of any your advice. You have made my day!!!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan