Yard guests

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Yard guests

Post by Manalto »

Bats in your house are good luck! (OK, I know no one's buying it... They are a good sign of a healthy ecosystem.)

Glass has got to be incredibly confusing to animals.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Manalto wrote:Bats in your house are good luck! (OK, I know no one's buying it... They are a good sign of a healthy ecosystem.)

Glass has got to be incredibly confusing to animals.
If it weren't for the rabies concerns, honestly I might let them fly around the house more to catch any stray flying insects that also slip in sometimes for a short time before ushering them out. We really are happy to have the bats in our area, but inside is always a bit too exciting, especially with a cat around.

I'd think since bats use echolation, that glass would just be another obstruction to avoid. Never looked into that, though. :eusa-think: We do get other species that bump into the glass. So far, no birds, just insects that I've noticed the occasional hover then bump test or outright wham (not that loud, but give you the idea of impact for their size).
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

That it chose to rest on the curtains makes it easier to catch and release. I've used plastic containers to gently cover them, coax them off the curtain by sliding the lid between the container and the curtain, and release them outside where they belong.

Lily left the valley

mjt wrote:That it chose to rest on the curtains makes it easier to catch and release. I've used plastic containers to gently cover them, coax them off the curtain by sliding the lid between the container and the curtain, and release them outside where they belong.

He also attached himself to one of Sean's display swords on the usual flat horizontal surface rack style, which I wish I had gotten a shot of. I did attempt wrapping it in a towel, but it was quick and cussed at me in the loud bat chittery way.

How big of a container? Maybe one the size of a frozen whipped topping? My yogurt containers are more along the lines of a small margarine tub than usual pints, but I think would have barely fit that bat, so likely not enough wiggle room.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

You need to have a Tupperware party in the Bat-Cave, where you will be able to work out the details.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Manalto wrote:You need to have a Tupperware party in the Bat-Cave, where you will be able to work out the details.
:lol:
I can send you my rarely used pink butterfly net upper management bought me in the spring should the Tupperware party not have a solution.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Lily left the valley wrote:
mjt wrote:That it chose to rest on the curtains makes it easier to catch and release. I've used plastic containers to gently cover them, coax them off the curtain by sliding the lid between the container and the curtain, and release them outside where they belong.

How big of a container? Maybe one the size of a frozen whipped topping?

That about the size I used. Seemed to work pretty well without injuring them (or me). They weren't too happy about it until I got them outside and let them go.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

open some doors and windows, they will find their way out unless its in a place where they are trying to live.
with insects I often just turn out all the lights, turn on an outside light, the problem often solves itself. with mice, you need a kitty.

Lily left the valley

mjt wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:How big of a container? Maybe one the size of a frozen whipped topping?

That about the size I used. Seemed to work pretty well without injuring them (or me). They weren't too happy about it until I got them outside and let them go.
Thank you! I'm sure they wouldn't be pleased at the confinement, but it would help hurry the process when it's been a half hour + of the window being open and them just nope-ing using that nice available hole in the wall to go out.

Gothichome wrote: :lol: I can send you my rarely used pink butterfly net upper management bought me in the spring should the Tupperware party not have a solution.
PYCA had what I thought was a butterfly net (not fashionably pink though :lol: ), that turned out to be a small fishing pole handle style net. Someone snagged it before I had a chance to buy it.

Lily left the valley

Early this morning as the sky was starting to lighten up, I rolled up the shade in my office window so I could watch the yard change with the sun's rising. I noticed movement, and was immediately glad the window was closed.

These two shots below were taken without a flash because window closed or not, I didn't want to startle the skunk digging near the safety glass bed with a flash. The other office window just around the corner has an A/C unit in place, and no way did I want that smell seeping through! I let Photoshop do the best it could with the nearly black images to produce the following best of the ones I took--skunk is circled in purple:

I know we have them in the neighborhood. I've seen them about. I was worried at one point they might shelter under the front porch, but apparently they like other places better to live. It did jar my memory as to what other creature might be digging, though. :P