Well damn...my dream house...they lowered the price

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Well damn...my dream house...they lowered the price

Post by JacquieJet »

Yikes. Never good when you can see the outside from the inside... unless you are looking through glass, lol.

I think old house maintenance can be tricky... I know that over here, we are still learning, and I'm sure will make mistakes here and there, although hopefully nothing major. There is so much to know and learn!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I'm not sure how much of an issue the settling is - probably that mainly depends on whether it's still going or has stopped. If it isn't active anymore you might be fine just fixing that whacky corner and maybe shimming the floors but if it's ongoing you'll have to put in a lot of foundation work I guess.

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

Ongoing. It's gotten quite a bit worse since I originally looked at it 15 years ago. It wasn't perfect then, but you couldn't see outside, that separation has occured since then. And that one wall by the bilco doors wasn't dropped nearly that bad either.

The corner where the corner stones look to be separating from the rest of the foundation has no downspout on the gutter. It's also the corner with evidence of a previous repair at the top of the house, so I'll be that's happened before. I think the main issue for this house has been water. Roof leak, spalling brick, shifting foundation, porch separating from house...I think it all traces back to water.