What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by awomanwithahammer »

GinaC wrote:I know this thread is for what "I" personally did at my house, but the stress from current world events is really messing with my fibromyalgia so I really don't have enough energy to do anything lately.

That having been said, the week before last the 2-man crew came and installed my new furnace and air conditioning, so I'm ready for summer!

And yesterday my house painter, who is going to install new Allied storm windows for me after he paints the house, came with his crew and took down all of my old storm windows and measured for the new ones.

And of course today, the first day I have no more storm windows, it snows.

Gina, I hope you're feeling better. I understand about the stress!
Bonnie

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

awomanwithahammer wrote:
GinaC wrote:I know this thread is for what "I" personally did at my house, but the stress from current world events is really messing with my fibromyalgia so I really don't have enough energy to do anything lately.

That having been said, the week before last the 2-man crew came and installed my new furnace and air conditioning, so I'm ready for summer!

And yesterday my house painter, who is going to install new Allied storm windows for me after he paints the house, came with his crew and took down all of my old storm windows and measured for the new ones.

And of course today, the first day I have no more storm windows, it snows.

Gina, I hope you're feeling better. I understand about the stress!

Thank you, Bonnie, I hope you're doing fine as well. Big things happening around here this week -- the weather is allowing my house to finally be painted!
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Today I spent the day, the entire day, stripping the 1920 Craftsman-style door I got a while back. (I have all the original hardware, including the key!) I laid it down horizontally because I felt that was the preferable way to work on it.

While I was doing that, Herbert was applying clapboards to the other shed behind the house. The door will go on this building.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gina, I certainly hope the weather holds for you, looking forward to the new look. James, your shed looks to be in great condition with the addition of new claps, and the door matches up nicely with it. Your landscaping around the shed looks great, I think you may have had some formal training in those sort of things :think:

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote: James, ... Your landscaping...

... is really getting trampled!

awomanwithahammer

Gina, yay! your house is getting painted!

James, the shed looks really good. If you needed to, you could move into it while you finish the house. :whistle:

I finally made a punch list for my house, and although there are a couple of biggish projects, the list is shorter than I thought it would be! I got to mark off TWO items today. That means I'm very close to being able to list it, but, unfortunately, I won't be able to have the big open house/party I wanted to have for friends and family due to the coronavirus. So I think I'll just invite folks to make appointments to come see it if they want to--observing social distancing, of course.

I've also extended an invitation to my son and his wife to live in it this summer. They've been in Seattle for the last 5 or 6 years while my DIL finished her Ph.D. She's done (defending on 5/29) and then they're headed back here for a while until they decide what's next. The house is definitely liveable at this point, and he's going to help me with some of the last projects anyway, so they might as well live there. So I'm thinking I'll list it in the fall. Kind of bittersweet. I've worked on it for far too long, but I've learned so much and really enjoyed it. I'll post some more pictures soon.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Bonnie, if you sold, would you buy another old home to restore for yourself?

awomanwithahammer

I would love to, but I've kind of promised my husband and my financial planner that I wouldn't. At least, not unless one dropped into my lap. ;-)

The problem is that unless you have an "in" with a home seller, you can't get even a bad house at a good price around here, because the flippers snap them up. I looked at one that had been completely gutted, and I mean, you could stand in the basement and see the underside of the roof because the house was literally a shell. It went for somewhere around $40k, was rebuilt and sold for about $180k. The market here is so tight, that new listings go under contract literally in 24-48 hours. My plan is to list and give a week or so for all offers to be made. It's not a common thing around here, but I know it will work for my house because the interest is so high. The neighbors on both sides of the house have friends who seriously want the house.

I tried for 2 years to buy a house down the street from me from the heirs of the woman who owned it. They gave me the runaround for all that time, and the house finally went to auction. I bid, but was outbid by $6000. I knew what I was willing to pay for it, and when I got to that number, I quit.

I guess after this one sells, I'll go back to the house we've lived in for 11 years, and work on stuff around here. I may also hire myself out. I know a contractor who says he can get me work from people who want restoration done. He doesn't have time to do this kind of work, but he'd be happy to refer me, as he's seen my work. I don't like to work for other people because I'm too much of a control freak, but I guess I could interview them and make sure we're on the same wavelength!

That was a long answer to a short question, Ron, but that's where I am.
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I started looking at all my baseboards and the trim for my windows. , I removed them when I did my living room.

i had one really long one and Iv'e been tripping over it and cursing the thing so Ill get that one on first. Put a sled on my tablesaw to cross cut the plugs out. I cut some strips about 1/4" x 1/2".
so I cut the first one on a 45 then butted it together. Ill glue that up then also add strips on the backside to thicken it, this will also strengthen the joint. when I put them on the baseboards will protrude more than normal but my plan is to later do some wainscot so that will sit on top of the baseboard and go about half way up the walls.
some time ago I priced out new wainscot and it was very pricey. In the kitchen I used some MDF wainscott and painted it . its OK I guess but I'd really prefer clear fir that I dont paint.
I might try to cut my own wainscot to save some money. I'm thinking I could actually make it thin, like about 3/16, just enough to take the grooves and stay together. it doesn't need to be tongue and groove , just look like it is from the surface. then I could glue that on top of thin MDF ( or HDF) and when installed all you would see is the fir on top, and not the MDF. that would save some wood, rather than the wainscot being the usual 1/2" or so. then I could finish the stuff in clear and show the wood and no one would see that it isn't really very thick. I have a bunch of 2x4 and whatnot , if I slice them all I might get 3 1/2" x maybe 1/4 or so thick. some is lost to sawdust due to the kerf of the blade and planing but I might get 4 slices from each 2x4. Is most wainscot about 3" or 2" Does it matter if it's about 3 1/2" ?

this is sort of cheating but If It gives me an original look I'm ok with it. I figure who cares how thick the stuff is if it looks the same anyway. at least that way I wont have to resort to painting it like I would if I chose the MDF stuff. I figure I might be able to cut the profile on the tablesaw with a molding head or wiht a router. I thought maybe run the board through my thickness planer, then cut the profile in the face, than slice it off thin and repeat. the backside of the stuff would just be straight off the saw, probably uniform enough like that to glue to the MDF backer. since the tablesaw blade is 10" there is a limit to how high I can raise it so maybe that will limit the width of the stuff, otherwise I need to flip it over and cut again to cut anything thicker.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Phil, are you trying to mimic the look of beadboard wainscot? What about v groove boards? It would look good at 3 1/2 in and would be relatively easy to do on the table saw if you beveled the edge leaving an eighth of an inch or so to butt together. Another thought - if you have a lot of wood how about a high wainscot with a plate shelf at the top? You usually find them in dining rooms but it could be nice in the living room too. Just a couple of ideas - please don't think I'm talking down to you or treating you "differently."