Eye Candy

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: Eye Candy

Post by Gothichome »

Casey, Just looking I don't think it's a Home Depot finial. Sure it looks the same but the routing details on the original looks to be cruder in application than the Home Depot unit.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Vala wrote:
Casey wrote:
Vala wrote:I really love that newel post in the last photo!

My take is different; I thought: nice except for that stupid home depot finial. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Pi ... /205112958
Casey

Oh, its from home depot? That's disappointing... I always heard stories about "pineapple newel posts" in old houses :wtf:

I don't know; it's very similar but looks old & a bit different.

CrestwoodCottage
Knows the back streets

Post by CrestwoodCottage »

Yeah, unfortunately the finial is new. From the condition of the house you'd probably never guess because it's like if X,Y and Z need repair...why a new finial?!? I do love that staircase though, it sure made the house! Here are a few more pics...
Attachments
fremont 3.jpg
fremont 3.jpg (43.65 KiB) Viewed 614 times
fremont 2.jpg
fremont 2.jpg (43.89 KiB) Viewed 614 times
*Formerly known as CedarLaneBungalow*

bankeny
Knows the back streets

Post by bankeny »

What a fun job selling old houses must be! Some beauties on here!

I deliver furniture on the weekends and get to see the inside of lots of neat old places. But I don't get to spend time going through each room like a real estate agent would.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

CrestwoodCottage wrote: if X,Y and Z need repair...why a new finial?!?

To me it says, somebody cared, even if they couldnt fix the place up, they added that little final. Warms the cockles of my heart it does.
Mick...

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

"What a fun job selling old houses must be! Some beauties on here!"

I'd say the total opposite. I think most people lack the vision to see past the work, decay, abuse and neglect in most old houses and turn on heel. We may be lovers of old houses and many handy at that, but I'd say we are definitely in the minority.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

CrestwoodCottage
Knows the back streets

Post by CrestwoodCottage »

Selling old houses isn't all that bad. Since I work for a "boutique" real estate firm and that's all we specialize in, I tend to meet like minded people and that's why I love my job. I do agree that many people don't love old houses the way we do and usually don't see the potential. Every once in a while I'll meet one of those clients who want an old house but have unrealistic expectations and that's frustrating. Because Knoxville has seen a big boom in our downtown in recent years, I occasionally get those people who want to live "downtown" but not in an old house...which is like 95% of our downtown neighborhoods. Otherwise, I get to spend my days roaming through old house..some in need of major repairs and some beautifully renovated. I get to mull over old house home inspections(this is fun for me!), explain termite damage is in 99% of our older houses, talk about foundations, historic building materials, original floorplans, etc. If I had to sell new construction(anything prior to 1960) I wouldn't be a realtor. I actually never even interviewed with other firms, I was only going to get my license if I could sell old houses.
*Formerly known as CedarLaneBungalow*

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Very nice old homes. That's great that you found new folks to love them.
Thanks for sharing the pics. :thumbup:
Susan