What's wrong with this picture?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
raine
Settling in

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Post by raine »

ITS LOUD IN HERE ! The kitchen noise is competing with the TV stressing me and causing me to spill salsa on the white couch !

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I came across this article today:

https://www.curbed.com/2018/7/11/175368 ... re-footage

The best part is the comments. (are the comments?)

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Very interesting article. I agreed with her on many points. We used to rarely entertain because our house "wasn't clean," "wasn't finished," etc. Our current house is just over 2000 sq ft (which is sometimes too big for my taste), with a long room that serves as both dining and living room. Last Christmas, we hosted a dinner for extended family including the in-laws of both my children. We had 20+ people in the house. We moved the living room furniture and set up folding tables down the middle of the room. It worked.

I still worry about having people over when my house doesn't meet general standards of cleanliness, but I've been known to plan a party in order to motivate myself to clean! But I worry less than I used to. I just shovel off the couch and invite them to sit down.

My father and stepmother bought a 6000 sq ft house back in the late 70s. It was the biggest house I had ever seen in my life, and they lived in it with my half-brother. 3 people in 6000 sq ft. It was definitely a status symbol for my dad. 6 bedrooms, 6 or 7 bathrooms, a formal dining room and a huge eat-in kitchen, a formal living room, family room, rec room and a pool. The only time I remember using the formal living room was at Christmas.
Bonnie

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Here's one. Mediocre actor Jeremy Piven's house in Malibu. I realize much of the house's value is location, but it's remarkably generic, Indian porch swing notwithstanding. According to the article, rent is $30-50K a month.

https://www.aol.com/article/finance/201 ... de=7378957#fullscreen

I want to see a big, goofy Lab jump up on that sofa with a squid he found rotting on the beach!

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:Here's one. Mediocre actor Jeremy Piven's house in Malibu. I realize much of the house's value is location, but it's remarkably generic, Indian porch swing notwithstanding. According to the article, rent is $30-50K a month.

It's really blah, inside and out. And that's with an interior decorator, a real estate photographer doing as much fluffing as possible for the client and realtor and a considerable budget/value.

The view is really something though.