The Petch House is sold

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: The Petch House is sold

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Really sad to hear that!
It was me who spotted the listing last year when I set out to discover what had happened to the house - I thought in a worst-case scenario it might even have been demolished like (hope I'm getting that right, it's been a while) the Montoya House. That was an incredibly sad story of a failed marriage that led to the eventual demolition of their project house.
Ever since I'd wondered why Greg decided to sell the house, although he'd mentioned he might get bored with it once he finished. I don't think he was married or had any kids but that's just my impression from reading the blog. Although I've never met him in person I really miss his blog posts!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Texas_Ranger wrote:Really sad to hear that!
It was me who spotted the listing last year when I set out to discover what had happened to the house - I thought in a worst-case scenario it might even have been demolished like (hope I'm getting that right, it's been a while) the Montoya House. That was an incredibly sad story of a failed marriage that led to the eventual demolition of their project house.
Ever since I'd wondered why Greg decided to sell the house, although he'd mentioned he might get bored with it once he finished. I don't think he was married or had any kids but that's just my impression from reading the blog. Although I've never met him in person I really miss his blog posts!

He did have a few posts near the end where he basically said he was burned out with it and was winding down / getting ready to sell. The way he restored the upper floors seems reflective of that. i.e. very plain paint and carpet.
Mick...

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

There was also a neighbour who was a self-appointed enforcement officer and town father who was real PITA-I guess the guy started a real slime campaign against Greg-I actually offered to write a nasty letter detailing why he was "loosing my business because of what I heard from Mr. so-and-so," so he could demonstrate actual loss if he wanted to take the guy to law, but Greg didn't want to deal with a long drawn out affair with the jerk and it never went that far.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Mick_VT wrote:
Texas_Ranger wrote:Really sad to hear that!

He did have a few posts near the end where he basically said he was burned out with it and was winding down / getting ready to sell. The way he restored the upper floors seems reflective of that. i.e. very plain paint and carpet.

My thoughts exactly when I saw the upstairs listing photos.

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

I remember seeing The Petch House in person some 7 years ago from the street on a hurried trip to Eureka. What Greg accomplished was mind boggling. I too followed his blog and was always in awe of the tasks he undertook.

I bought my first house in 1978 and went through it from top to bottom, and from the exterior to interior. That was a time for learning the best techniques of redoing windows, stripping paint, etc, etc. I bought my current house in 1996 and sold that first house in 1997. Been again doing restoration work here for nearly 20 years on this house. Things were easier this second time around. I can so relate to the statement: "He did have a few posts near the end where he basically said he was burned out with it and was winding down / getting ready to sell. The way he restored the upper floors seems reflective of that. i.e. very plain paint and carpet."

My first job on this second house was to remedy a horrible kitchen remodel. The first kitchen project, now nearly 20 years old is in need of refreshing... it is like working in a circle...you get back to the point you started at and you have to start over.

Looking ahead to the future I'm not sure how long I'll be able to continue the upkeep of this house. As much as I hate to admit it, a condo, or small garden home is looking better and better.

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

I'm sad to hear that news. I loved his blog and his dedication to the Petch House. RIP Greg.

Susan

Oldhouse

Post by Oldhouse »

Are you sure Greg passed away?

Here's a press release from December 2015. He looks alive and well AND active.

http://www.pacificoutfitters.com/2015/1 ... rd_member/

Don M

Post by Don M »

Certainly appears that news of his passing may have been greatly exaggerated! Great news. Thanks

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Oldhouse wrote:Are you sure Greg passed away?

Here's a press release from December 2015. He looks alive and well AND active.

http://www.pacificoutfitters.com/2015/1 ... rd_member/

yes he does there, and I thought the same. But yes, unless there is any other reason for your brother (IIRC) to be administering your estate.

What I found, but it now seems to have gone now , was a probate application for the above filed a month or two ago. My guess is these are delisted once the application is heard.

I would love to here he is alive and well Oldhouse, but I can't think of any other reason for the probate listing.
Mick...

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Reading this, broke my heart. As with many of you on here, though you don't know me, I feel like I know you all so well. I used to follow Greg and always looked forward to a post or a blog from him. RIP Greg, and thank you, for sharing your knowledge with so many through the years.