Period appropriate drawer pulls?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
mkiehn20
Knows the back streets

Period appropriate drawer pulls?

Post by mkiehn20 »

Our 1916 bungalow kitchen has a marvelous built-in hutch. I was inspecting the drawer pulls today, as we need to get some to put on our cabinets and I want them to match, or at least coordinate. At first, I thought the pulls looked original to the piece. They are ceramic with a metal border/base. But then I looked at the back and saw that there is a wear pattern that is bigger than the current hardware. So maybe it was replaced?

Honestly, I'm not sure what circa 1916 hardware should look like. Do these knobs look "right?" Should I replace them with something else?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (635.8 KiB) Viewed 620 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (743.37 KiB) Viewed 620 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (862.67 KiB) Viewed 620 times

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Period appropriate drawer pulls?

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Those definitely aren't original (probably '60s/'70s era or even a little later).

Cupboard latches would be appropriate for the doors that swing out, though that might not be what they had originally. As for drawer pulls, something like this would be appropriate:

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/b ... ategory=92

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/B ... ategory=92

If you can't find original pieces and get replicas like those above, they look a lot better and more appropriate if you antique them before you install them (and use slotted head screws instead of phillips!). Standard round wooden drawer pulls would also look right on that piece.

mkiehn20
Knows the back streets

Post by mkiehn20 »

Thank you for the links! It makes sense that the current knobs are from a later date--the kitchen went through some cosmetic "upgrades" through the years. I like the look of the cup pulls, but I don't think that was the original type of pull. The drawers only have one hole for the hardware, not two. A round wood knob sounds possible. Painted the same color as the cabinet, I assume?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mkiehn, spent some time last night looking at period pics for your kitchen, seems most cabinet hardware was knobs, saw very few with pull handles. Most knobs were simple wood or possibly ceramic, nothing fancy. I guess the only issue is the size of the knobs they generally seemed much larger than those modern ones you have.

mkiehn20
Knows the back streets

Post by mkiehn20 »

I came across a couple images of kitchens from that time period:

More here: http://1912bungalow.com/2004/03/historical-kitchens/

Seems like knobs, cup pulls, or latches are all correct. In these images, the hardware all appears to be dark metal.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

your drawers should be able to tell you whether there was a pull or a knob originally installed. This stuff is available in abundance on ebay, and if you watch you can score some very good deals, especially if you buy it covered in paint. Original stuff is usually better quality than repros and will not generally come with inappropriate hardware (philips screws and / or zinc plating)
Mick...

mkiehn20
Knows the back streets

Post by mkiehn20 »

Mick_VT wrote:your drawers should be able to tell you whether there was a pull or a knob originally installed.

Because there will be two holes vs. one? Or is there another way to tell?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

mkiehn20 wrote:
Mick_VT wrote:your drawers should be able to tell you whether there was a pull or a knob originally installed.

Because there will be two holes vs. one? Or is there another way to tell?

Yes, just look for evidence of screw holes etc. These might be filled and hidden under paint but shine a light across them see what you can see
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

its just painted anyway, so its easy to fill any screw holes you want to put in