Hit the Jackpot in MN....need advice!

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Hit the Jackpot in MN....need advice!

Post by oaktree »

I was thinking if they are mostly good, you could buy them and then stare at them and think about it! I love the idea of the small uppers to fill in the extra space.
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

bankeny
Knows the back streets

Post by bankeny »

As one of the (at least) two district members from Minnesota, I feel obligated to say welcome to our neck of the woods!

Enjoy your stay!

-Brandon

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

All those built-ins are pretty! The Colonnades and china closet wouldn't look too bad, and if you use the egg and dart header on the colonnade opening it would fit right in-they were sold as a whole unit to build in, so who would be to say they couldn't have started life out that way once you have them in?

If you like it, do it! If someone makes a fuss ask them if they are writing a book, and tell them to leave that chapter out!

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Yup, I like the idea of the extra storage above the uppers. And something quite similar to the picture you posted. Either glass or a simple panel would be great.

Oh, and I don't think the old house gods are going to send lightning bolts down on you if you swap out new hardware on the cabinets. I would too.
Warren

Don M

Post by Don M »

SmellyHouse wrote:
wletson wrote:
SmellyHouse wrote:Finally, the uppers were a bit small (32")...and I can go up to 42" with my ceiling height. Thinking I would add small uppers for my platters and kitchen implements I don't use that much. Sorta like these. Thoughts?

My parent's kitchen in our Kentucky house had small uppers as you suggest; they were used the same way. When we moved the movers forgot to pack those. Mom lost all her infrequently used demitasse cups etc. :evil:

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I'm thinking the darker ones may be a different wood, likely oak, while the lighter ones are possibly maple or cherry or similar, the difference between the woods would be quite noticeable, would you be ok with that?
Mick...

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

bankeny wrote:As one of the (at least) two district members from Minnesota, I feel obligated to say welcome to our neck of the woods!

Enjoy your stay!

-Brandon

Welcome from the other Minnesotan!

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

I had those small uppers (no glass) in a former house, and designed them into my present house. I think they are the way to go. I store Christmas decorations up there. My husband and I get the ladder out twice a year--bring the decorations down and put the decorations back up.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

So.....? What happened? :|
Warren

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

Warren, I passed on these...because of of the size and the potential for different wood. Then, my Mom fell very ill during the latter half of 2015. I'm back up and running again, and just put a deposit on a entire set of matching cabinets. Stay tuned..I'll start a new thread. Smelly's back :)