What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by phil »

I think usually doors come 30, 32 or 34" right? I think this door your are adding is aluminum so hard to just trim down. Could you get the narrower one and add a strip on to it? you could fill that little cutout with epoxy filler.
I dont think I'd be happy with a new molding over-top the old original molding.
I was looking at a wood reproduction screen door at home depot. I think it was about $200 Canadian. I forget if it had glass in it. probably? If you could get a wood one you could trim it or add a piece but with those aluminum ones changing size would take some doing.

I found an antique Victorian screen door and I have to get it painted and put the screen in but I fixed other issues , it had a really bad twist and some fancy bits missing. It wouldn't be too hard to create the simple type from scratch, Like the one that was always getting slammed on "the Waltons", I know it only had so many slams left in it ;-) but that's just a screen and not glass storm door. I feel your frustration with it. it'll stop some drafts and keep bugs out but it's taking away from the original look, would it work on a different door? maybe I'm just being too fussy. Its not my call so I can't say what to accept or not accept and I didn't intend to come off as insulting, I'm just thinking there must be a way that would look a bit more authentic.

I tried the screen I have It looked like it would just fit against my door casings, but my casings are a lot less ornate. At least if you make it fit a standard out of the box size then if you ever replace it you'll have an easier time. I cant' wait to get mine on there as my girlfriend doesn't like her cat outside and we need the airflow. I've probably had it 5 years so you are speedy by comparison ;-)

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Yes, Phil, the standard size is 32", which my guy ordered. My door opening is 31" to 31 1/2". I would have to build out the jamb either way in order to accomodate the door knobs of both doors, so adding the new outside moulding is the only option anyway if I want to retain my original interior door and knob.

Oh, and I'd also like to clarify that this is the back door, which will only be seen by me since I have a fenced in backyard.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Today I ran a 220 line to the workshop/chichier shed. It will be useful in case I want to put a dryer or stove out there. Right now, it's hooked up to the Delta Unisaw (1947) I got a while back but have been unable to use until now.

The interior of the shed still needs work, but I'm glad to have the table saw up and running!

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Update on the back storm door saga:

I painted the new brick mould on Saturday, and the guy came by today to install the door, and ran into one problem after another. He clearly had no idea what he was doing and admitted the same, and finally he said he would just take the door and walk away, with no charge to me and our relationship wouldn't suffer at all.

So now I'm going to take down that brick mould and touch up my original frame, and then I'm back at square one. However, I now know how to measure and install it, but unfortunately I can't order the same door myself for DIY. Hopefully I can find another local business who does storm doors regularly.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well sorry to hear that Gina. At least your not out any cash.
I got another storm finished and installed. Three of the four sashes are ready To go in. Still waiting for the glass for the fourth. Also made some progress on the front door projects.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Mixed up a little container of blopentine and went around and slathered it on the exposed wood on the first-floor windows. I'm embarrassed to say that it's taken me three years to even get to this minor task; window restoration has been delayed much, much longer than I had hoped.

Early Friday morning I'm leaving for Connecticut, probably until Thanksgiving, so all projects are on hold until then. I have a security system and people keeping an eye on the house but it still makes me nervous to leave it for these extended periods of time. The garden will be left to fend for itself.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, it took decades for your windows to get in their present condition. Another couple of months won’t make a bit of difference. Enjoy your trip.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote:Enjoy your trip.

I did, part of it at least. I stopped and had a nice visit with Bonnie (womanwithahammer) to have one last look at her completed project before it's in the hands of a strangers.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Yes, it was a good visit with James.

One of the last things on my list was a huge one. The little room off the living room used to be a porch but was closed in many years ago. I added an HVAC duct to the room so that it is now technically a bedroom, but since it was a porch, it never had ANY insulation in the attic space above it. I knew it had to be done, but there's only a tiny little entry space into that attic. I knew I would never be able to fit through it to blow in insulation.

My son is in town for a few weeks, and he has already done several jobs for me, so yesterday he and I put insulation in that space. I say "he and I", but he's the one who crawled through there in the early morning summer heat and blew nasty, dusty cellulose. I manned the hopper, which is a nasty job in and of itself, but not nearly as bad as being up above. Fortunately, I had a respirator (because there aren't any in the stores anymore) and a Tyvek suit sitting around, so he wore those.

I haven't been over there today to see if it has made a difference in that room. It was at least 5 to 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

I so appreciate his willingness to do the hard stuff that I can't do and would otherwise have to contract out. I'm chipping away at the punch list! He and his wife are staying there for the next month or so, and when they leave, I'll put the house on the market.
Bonnie

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Yes, it was a good visit with James.

One of the last things on my list was a huge one. The little room off the living room used to be a porch but was closed in many years ago. I added an HVAC duct to the room so that it is now technically a bedroom, but since it was a porch, it never had ANY insulation in the attic space above it. I knew it had to be done, but there's only a tiny little entry space into that attic. I knew I would never be able to fit through it to blow in insulation.

My son is in town for a few weeks, and he has already done several jobs for me, so yesterday he and I put insulation in that space. I say "he and I", but he's the one who crawled through there in the early morning summer heat and blew nasty, dusty cellulose. I manned the hopper, which is a nasty job in and of itself, but not nearly as bad as being up above. Fortunately, I had a respirator (because there aren't any in the stores anymore) and a Tyvek suit sitting around, so he wore those.

I haven't been over there today to see if it has made a difference in that room. It was at least 5 to 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

I so appreciate his willingness to do the hard stuff that I can't do and would otherwise have to contract out. I'm chipping away at the punch list! He and his wife are staying there for the next month or so, and when they leave, I'll put the house on the market.
Bonnie