What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Manalto wrote:Pretty soon I've got to make a run up to Connecticut to take care of some things so my concern at the moment is securing the house, even though this neighborhood is known for being safe and my neighbors are great about keeping an eye out. Nevertheless, I feel that the big shed/studio/summer kitchen is vulnerable with four fragile windows and valuable tools and machinery inside. So, today I installed sheets of plywood over the windows which will also be handy for severe weather (hurricanes, although I hesitate to even use the word; it's like whistling backstage).

My artwork is slovenly at best, but it's plywood!

Oh, that's funny, James! Until I enlarged the picture, I couldn't even tell they were painted plywood. Good job! (Don't say the name of the Shakespeare play about the Scottish king, either.)
Bonnie

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

James, I don't know if you are aware of why behind the whistling history, so I'll share. Early on, rigging was done by sailors that used whistles to communicate. So if you randomly whistled, you could wind up with a sandbag on your head (or worse!)

At first I thought you put the plywood inside (which wouldn't protect the glass and so made zero sense). Then I realized those white bits weren't unpainted putty.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

that painted plywood is ingenious ;-)

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Lily left the valley wrote:James, I don't know if you are aware of why behind the whistling history, so I'll share. Early on, rigging was done by sailors that used whistles to communicate. So if you randomly whistled, you could wind up with a sandbag on your head (or worse!)

At first I thought you put the plywood inside (which wouldn't protect the glass and so made zero sense). Then I realized those white bits weren't unpainted putty.

Lily, I've been in the theatre all my life, and I didn't know that about whistling backstage!
Bonnie

Lily left the valley

awomanwithahammer wrote:Lily, I've been in the theatre all my life, and I didn't know that about whistling backstage!
Although I learned it in undergrad in my intro theatre class, when I was a rigger someone was always telling the history to any newbie on crew. :whistle:
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

So the storm door guy ordered the incorrect custom ProVia door size, and now we have to do gymnastics to get it to fit, which include me painting and caulking new brick moulding.

I am not happy about this, but he didn't seem impressed when I said the alternative would be to order a new door in the correct size and he'd have to eat the price for this one, even though that would be the correct thing to do.

I'm choosing to look on the bright side that the door opening is probably out of square to begin with, and even if we had gotten the correct size it wouldn't fit and we'd still have to add the brick moulding extension.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Lily left the valley

I'm glad you figured a quick work around, but the entire point of "custom" is to make something fit and function for its intended purpose. It's also the supposed driving factor that is built into the price of the item to justify the higher price.

You're far more lenient than I would have been--doubly so if he's the one that did the measurements. Alerting his higher ups of your disappointment at this point likely won't help since you accepted the door as is. Still, they might at least offer to give you a small portion of the price back due to you having to buy additional items as a work around.

I'm looking forward to pictures when the work involved is finished. I'm especially curious about the brick moulding.

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

I know what you're saying, but this is a small business owner who I'm going to have to rely on in the future for any glass that I will need to replace when I'm restoring my windows. He's right down the street, so I'd rather not spoil the relationship. He's willing to make it work, and the measurement is only off by about a 1/2" width, which sounds like a lot, but it's 1/4" on each side.

"Brick mould" sounds like something fancy, but it's basically just the moulding you see around your door frame on the outside. He just finished putting that up and I'm pleased with how it looks. If I really wanted to go into full restoration mode, I would have had to replace the entire back door unit with its moulding and basically start over, but I'd rather keep the original stuff and just appreciate the way it has been adjusted over the years -- the door frame has been carved away to fit the previous storm door handle. The PO most likely put up the old standard size storm door, so that's what this guy was going off of. The painters took that down later on. I know, this guy should have measured the actual door opening instead of the door.

As I said, though, I'm thinking this was a blessing in disguise because the correct custom size square door probably would not have fit in my off-square doorway. This way the new "brick mould" frame is square and the new storm door (with pet flap!) won't have any functional issues down the road. And I still benefit from the lifetime warranties on the finishes of the door and handles.

EDIT: Here you go, here's a photo of the brick mould before painting. You can see how incredibly unsquare my doorway is. On the right where the handle will go you can see where the original moulding has been carved away in a semicircular pattern to make room for a wider storm door handle.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Lily left the valley

Gina, I didn't realize from the "we" that the door fella was doing the fix. My apologies for that. I thought you had brought back other workers that you mentioned prior. That definitely does make a difference. I also understand wanting to keep local craftsfolk happy.

Here, the POs did an off the shelf metal storm on the front (none on the side), but you can still see where the old one's hardware used to go. That's what we'll be using as a guide when we replace ours. The current one's frame was screwed into the outermost part of the original door frame, and since the house has settled and they didn't shim, there's gaps all over the place despite the fact that the thin frame and weather seal should form a tight closure with the storm.

Thanks for the pic! :handgestures-thumbup:

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Ah! So an exterior brick mould installation might also be an option for you when you go to replace if it would be too difficult to balance the gaps out. I know, it's not ideal because it's not flush, but once it's painted I don't think it will look too bad.
1939 Minimal Traditional