Best Paint for Window Latches and Hinges

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Best Paint for Window Latches and Hinges

Post by Corsetière »

I'm cleaning up my hardware for the attic windows and I'm not sure what the best paint is to use on them. I think they were originally painted with some sort of extremely durable black paint. Any clue what I should use? I have a black rustoleum spray paint, would that be durable enough?

Corsetière

Re: Best Paint for Window Latches and Hinges

Post by Corsetière »

Ooops! I meant to put this in the Craftsman's Guild.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

as I don't typically paint hardware, I would say a good oil based paint would work...
never been fond of spray paints but I bet one would work...
good luck....
....jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I just use rustoleum and a small paint brush. When I first started I used to rub in Linseed oil trying to keep that natural cast look, but now those latches have developed a little surface rust.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Yeah the hardware on the first two level isn't the type I would paint but this stuff in the attic looks like it was originally black enameled. The hinges are a silver metal that has some rust, too.

@gothic, I think I will try the heavy duty Rustoleum, I think is says "professional" on it. I just know for sure it will rust badly if I don't coat it now. They were already starting to rust after I cleaned them in the crock pot. :(

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Rust-oleum or any oil based paint would work. Alternately, you could pick up a couple of rattle cans of black automotive paint at any auto parts store.

Before you paint, be sure to prime with a good quality primer for ferrous metals. Auto parts stores will have this as well. Some hardware stores will carry it, but it's getting to be harder to find in those venues around here. At my local Ace, it's now a special order item.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I was actively discouraged (it "smells bad" and "dries slow" - as if those were permanent conditions) from purchasing oil-based based paint at my local Home Depot and then given a disparaging look when I bought it anyway. Oil based paint users are now social pariahs in these parts. We're destroying our health and the planet, don't you know.

I agree with the Rust-Oleum suggestion and would only add to prevent rust paint the backs of the latches as well. Because of the way condensation builds up on windows, it might be a wise precaution.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Manalto wrote:I was actively discouraged (it "smells bad" and "dries slow" - as if those were permanent conditions) from purchasing oil-based based paint at my local Home Depot ...

Yet another reason to not buy paint at Home Depot; go to a paint store.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Whatever you say, chief.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:I was actively discouraged (it "smells bad" and "dries slow" - as if those were permanent conditions) from purchasing oil-based based paint at my local Home Depot and then given a disparaging look when I bought it anyway. Oil based paint users are now social pariahs in these parts. We're destroying our health and the planet, don't you know.

I agree with the Rust-Oleum suggestion and would only add to prevent rust paint the backs of the latches as well. Because of the way condensation builds up on windows, it might be a wise precaution.

lol! Just bought a gallon of oil based primer for the sills today.