What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Corsetière »

Slow progress...
I think I am getting a little more skilled at glazing but I may have made it a bit too wide this time. Debating whether I want to actually redo it or just move on. Was originally thinking of staining and using spar varnish on the exterior portions but it absorbed the stain so weirdly (even with blo-pentine pretreating) that i wonder if it is worth it. Might just be best to paint a dark color? I plan on eventually replacing some of the glass with leaded and stained glass so I think darker colors always look best with this.

Apparently someone's dog went to town on these windows too, so we will see what I can do with that mess...
It's progress at least!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, I see no reason to redo your puttying, I have found in trying to get the perfect thin putty bead is more fuss that it’s worth and will drive you crazy. What did you use as a filler for the dog damage?

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Corsetiere, I see nothing wrong with that top photo. It's a beautiful job!

Do y'all work on your windows during the winter time? I'm debating calling my local window restorer for her to give me hands-on lessons before I start, but I do what to "shrink-wrap" my windows for the winter because they and the old storms are so shot.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Thanks for the support, guys! I stared at it some last night, debating (obsessing) and it turns out it hadn't set up yet so I was able to go over it again with a putty knife and improve it quite a bit. Now I know to check the reverse side to make sure it is not showing too much through the glass. ha ha!

I'm going to try to stain the filler and pray I can get it close.

@gothic - I used LiquidWood and WoodEpox with some pigments. All by Abatron. MAGIC stuff! I love it! I am going to fix some my Police-damaged doors with this stuff too!

@Gina - I'm working now because it's just on my list. I started stripping the sashes in summer and so now the frames are next. There are a ton of videos on youtube for learning to glaze etc. Concept is simple, but getting skilled at it is a process. I'm an artist and so I feel like I have a natural advantage with a lot of these restoration tasks. My manual dexterity is pretty well developed. lol! Jade may tell us this is a horrible idea, but I was using a tiny bit of linseed oil to smooth out the putty after I got it reasonably flat and this seemed to really help with getting a professional looking result.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Corsetière wrote:@Gina - I'm working now because it's just on my list. I started stripping the sashes in summer and so now the frames are next. There are a ton of videos on youtube for learning to glaze etc. Concept is simple, but getting skilled at it is a process. I'm an artist and so I feel like I have a natural advantage with a lot of these restoration tasks. My manual dexterity is pretty well developed. lol! Jade may tell us this is a horrible idea, but I was using a tiny bit of linseed oil to smooth out the putty after I got it reasonably flat and this seemed to really help with getting a professional looking result.

Yes, I've watched so many videos and I think I own all the books at this point. :D My mind is just like a sieve and I learn better by doing. Also I want this gal to replace the sills that require it, so I might as well hire her for lessons while she's up here.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Corsetière wrote:I was using a tiny bit of linseed oil to smooth out the putty after I got it reasonably flat and this seemed to really help with getting a professional looking result.

I suspect you're adding an hour or two (or something equally insignificant) to the drying time. Well worth it, I would say, to get a better looking result. I look forward to your photos.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Corsetière wrote:Slow progress...
I think I am getting a little more skilled at glazing but I may have made it a bit too wide this time. Debating whether I want to actually redo it or just move on. Was originally thinking of staining and using spar varnish on the exterior portions but it absorbed the stain so weirdly (even with blo-pentine pretreating) that i wonder if it is worth it. Might just be best to paint a dark color? I plan on eventually replacing some of the glass with leaded and stained glass so I think darker colors always look best with this.

Apparently someone's dog went to town on these windows too, so we will see what I can do with that mess...
It's progress at least!

Did you add artist oil or oil stain to the glazing putty? I have a set of windows in the vestibule that has a reddish brown glazing compounds. There is lots of missing glazing and some windows rattle when you close the door. I've been afraid to do much as I don't want to to wreck what's there and in good shape. I should probably just experiment......

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

nhguy wrote:Did you add artist oil or oil stain to the glazing putty? I have a set of windows in the vestibule that has a reddish brown glazing compounds. There is lots of missing glazing and some windows rattle when you close the door. I've been afraid to do much as I don't want to to wreck what's there and in good shape. I should probably just experiment......

I added powdered pigment to both the WoodEpox and the Sarco putty and then I brushed a bit of stain on the putty tonight and it looks great! Blends right in!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:
I suspect you're adding an hour or two (or something equally insignificant) to the drying time. Well worth it, I would say, to get a better looking result. I look forward to your photos.

Yeah I feel a bit better about it now. I have 2 more to do so it think it might have been noticeable.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Corsetière wrote:
nhguy wrote:Did you add artist oil or oil stain to the glazing putty? I have a set of windows in the vestibule that has a reddish brown glazing compounds. There is lots of missing glazing and some windows rattle when you close the door. I've been afraid to do much as I don't want to to wreck what's there and in good shape. I should probably just experiment......

I added powdered pigment to both the WoodEpox and the Sarco putty and then I brushed a bit of stain on the putty tonight and it looks great! Blends right in!

Thank you for the tip. The learning curve with old house fix up is hard. I'm glad to be part of this group where we can share this information freely. Perhaps we all should get together and write a book....