What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Corsetière »

One frame stripped! Lots of bonus damage from dog nails. lol!
The hardware is very pretty though!

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

The corner cupboard is a family piece from my wife's great uncle. We had the only house it would fit into, plus my wife was her uncle's favorite. It was the last farm property sold to Willow Valley Resort in Lancaster PA. All the buildings were going to be salvaged, so the cupboard from the "new" 1855 addition was removed. We drove down the next week to pick it up with our trailer. I think it's 100 inches tall.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Corsetière wrote:One frame stripped! Lots of bonus damage from dog nails. lol!

That looks so much better already. It's good that the damage is from dog claws vs rot, too.

No vinyl replacement windows 4 U.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:
Corsetière wrote:One frame stripped! Lots of bonus damage from dog nails. lol!

That looks so much better already. It's good that the damage is from dog claws vs rot, too.

No vinyl replacement windows 4 U.

Thanks! I hope I can make it look decent. There are so many claw marks and they are so uneven. This will be a real experience!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

nhguy wrote:The corner cupboard is a family piece from my wife's great uncle. We had the only house it would fit into, plus my wife was her uncle's favorite. It was the last farm property sold to Willow Valley Resort in Lancaster PA. All the buildings were going to be salvaged, so the cupboard from the "new" 1855 addition was removed. We drove down the next week to pick it up with our trailer. I think it's 100 inches tall.

I love it! It looks like Narnia is on the other side! :lol:

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

How did you get the hardware so clean, might I ask?
1939 Minimal Traditional

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

GinaC wrote:How did you get the hardware so clean, might I ask?

I'm not sure what you're referring too? The corner cupboard I polished the brass lock face with some 0000 steel wool. The other room hardware I kept well covered to now slop it with Durabond and dust.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

nhguy wrote:I'm not sure what you're referring too? The corner cupboard I polished the brass lock face with some 0000 steel wool. The other room hardware I kept well covered to now slop it with Durabond and dust.

I'm sorry, I was referring to Corsetière's window hardware!
1939 Minimal Traditional

Willa

Post by Willa »

I am a little behind reporting this but ?

To get away from the gas station noise and light I actually had to switch the contents of three rooms around. There is now none of the previous owner's paint colors left. Oddly, the last two rooms were both painted the same dark army green with a dark charcoal trim. This was the least unpleasant to contend with, but both had terrible walls and ceilings that needed fixing, so the paint had to go. What is now my bedroom is the smallest room in the house, next to the powder room's size. The electrician had to open the ceiling a little, and walls were just awful, between lots of painted over chunks of wallpaper to cracks and loose plaster to many holes. This is what I started with:

newbroombefore.jpg
newbroombefore.jpg (986.35 KiB) Viewed 443 times

Another 200 plaster washers and many layers of skim coating made the walls better but certainly not perfect:

newbroomduring.jpg
newbroomduring.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 443 times

I painted the walls BM "Essex Green" with a very light yellowish green trim, and a light pink ceiling and pink closet (which was made without a door). The room is so small that to change the position of the bed I had to take the bed completely apart. It's now a cozy room that is dark and quiet enough to sleep in. No more 4:00 a.m. tire compressor conversations to wake me:

newbroomafter.jpeg
newbroomafter.jpeg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 443 times

As with all the walls in this house, they are not flat - and never will be - but they are much smoother and the worst of the plaster is stabilized. This is good enough for me.

Willa

Post by Willa »

My former bedroom overlooked the gas station and was the closest to the awful vents. It was a nice room but the light and noise and occasional intense gas vapours were driving me nuts. I started with this:

bedroombefore.jpg
bedroombefore.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 441 times

The walls were the least bad in the entire house, but there were many dings from where a putty knife had gouged the plaster when I suppose they were removing wallpaper. The closet is deep enough for a very large dresser, which was a sensible design for a small room. My antique bed is 3/4 size which took up most of the room. The windows face northwest, so in the summer there is a little direct sunlight at the very end of the day. I put the least effort into fixing these walls to make them be good enough, but there were so many pits, gouges and holes to patch.

bedroomduring.jpg
bedroomduring.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 441 times

I got paint mixed from some paint colors I found under the many layers of paint and wallpaper. The color can be sort of mint/light aqua/blue depending on the light. I painted out all the charcoal trim with a light cream. I used a semi-gloss finish paint for the wallcolor, which I knew would accentuate all the lumps and bumps. I remember so many old houses with shiny walls and ceilings. This room is so much brighter now:

bedroomafter.jpeg
bedroomafter.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 441 times