Vent! Flipper Hell!

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Vent! Flipper Hell!

Post by mjt »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:One thing that's always baffled me is how people so stupid seem to have so much money.....

Having money (or having the ability to make money) doesn't mean one is smart.

Just because someone is smart in one subject doesn't mean they are smart in all subjects...

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Wow. Rage is right.
Such a shame.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Well, I just heard a rumor through the grapevine that the local preservation foundation is paying a visit to the building...

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Corsetière wrote:Well, I just heard a rumor through the grapevine that the local preservation foundation is paying a visit to the building...

\o/
1939 Minimal Traditional

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Corsetière wrote:Well, I just heard a rumor through the grapevine that the local preservation foundation is paying a visit to the building...

Ha! That’s awesome. I wonder what their thoughts will be... :wtf:
1917-ish

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I think the visit is a really positive thing. I'm sure they cannot do anything about the interior painted woodwork now but at least they are on their radar for potential future exterior shenanigans.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Corsetière wrote:I think the visit is a really positive thing. I'm sure they cannot do anything about the interior painted woodwork now but at least they are on their radar for potential future exterior shenanigans.

Oh I agree! I just meant that I'm sure the preservation society won't be happy with all the alterations done thus far. Definitely good that they will be on the radar!
1917-ish

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

be nice to see them have to put things back the way they were. I'm seeing some nice homes torn down and rebuilt near me too, and they always go as big as possible and don't give a hoot about anything antique or consider how hard neighbors have worked at restoration only to be overshadowed with ugly, giant and contrasting modernness.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

My blood pressure doesn't often go up, but this is one of the things that causes it! Have y'all noticed that new HGTV show? Something-or-other Restoration?! Restoration my eye!!! That brother-sister combo rips out all the parts that should be there to make it modern. I'm not a cusser, but I have smacked a table or two while flipping channels and that mess pops up... :angry-banghead: It's absolute garbage.

I hope your city can do something to put a stop to that mess. Good luck... my hometown mayors have heard from me since I was 14 years old. They've torn down (or allowed torn down) five houses that were key historical structures to our little community. The first one that went down that I noticed was a cute 1920s brick home in a Colonial style. They wanted to put a park in, with a "historically-styled community center, complete with a soda jerk and ice cream counter", and the print in the paper resembled something off of The Music Man. My 14-year-old self emailed the mayor and said the town was being quite hypocritical in tearing down a quite elegant home that was in fine shape just to put in some McMansion-style community center, and the town needs to stop calling itself "historic" since the leadership was determined to tear down every old building in their way.

The mayor wasn't very kind to a 14 year old in his reply...

Fast forward a few more years. The big Methodist church that owns a large chunk of land in town had purchased an 1870s brick home built by the family of our namesake to "preserve the structure from being demolished", and used it as a safe house for abused women. Suddenly, every night folks noticed things being taken out of the house. I and a few concerned business owners started calling the town and the church to make sure they weren't about to destroy it, and the next thing we knew they brought out a wrecking ball at 5 AM to knock a devastating blow to the wall before it could be stopped. They needed a parking lot, they said. That was ten years ago, and there's just a grassy spot.

The town also did that to several other structures that were structurally sound, just because they wanted the property. Nothing has ever been put back in place, and they were all given a detrimental blow before sunrise so as to keep the public from interfering.

We all really need to petition our communities to put steps in place to protect our old structures NOW before this flip crud destroys more that can never be repaired.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Southernlady, Good for you, keeping these elected people on thier toes. You can bet there was some money being made somewhere when the decision to tear down was made.