New "Green" grant

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

New "Green" grant

Post by JacquieJet »

Thoughts?
https://news.ontario.ca/ene/en/2017/12/ ... -home.html

Not sure if this also applies to storm windows... but even so, this may encourage others to ditch some of their home's original features. Or am I wrong?
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Gothichome

Re: New "Green" grant

Post by Gothichome »

Not sure if it covers storm windows but the new window salesmen are rubbing thier hands with glee. The geothermal/heat pump idea I think is worth a look though. Only thing with those systems is the high up front costs really long payback time, and the cost of electricity to run the pump.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

replacing windows is the least 'green' thing a homeowner can do...
the folks who set up the grants and the folks who write the articles are drunk
with koolaid...this is how homeowners become misinformed and it doesn't
sit well with me...hocus-pocus!! it's called 'the magic of capitalism'.....
..jade

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

heartwood wrote:replacing windows is the least 'green' thing a homeowner can do...
the folks who set up the grants and the folks who write the articles are drunk
with koolaid...this is how homeowners become misinformed and it doesn't
sit well with me...
..jade

+1000

Even though the "green" mafia doesn't care about original architectural features, they never stop to think that all of those discarded windows have to go somewhere. It kind of reminds me of the so-called "environmentalists" protesting the oil pipeline in the Midwest and all of the mountains of trash they left behind when they were finished.

I know I sometimes have a negative attitude, but any time I see the words "green", "environmentally friendly", "eco-", etc., the thesaurus in my brain automatically translates it to "scam".

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

It seems scam-y, for sure. Just like the Energy Star appliances, that have a lifespan of 5-10 years. How is that eco friendly? I don't get it.
Also, on that tangent... when we started running our 1940's refrigerator, our electricity bill only jumped about $5-$10 a month (and this was an additional fridge for us, not a replacement of the other one... so that is literally the running cost). Energy Star sucks.
Anyway, if this rebate applies to storm windows, then I'll do it- we need new storms anyway- but overall this type of thing makes me nervous.
1917-ish

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I just sent a note to the ministry of the environment and climate change....not to worry, I was polite and professional...
it'll be interesting to see if they respond...
...jade

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

heartwood wrote:I just sent a note to the ministry of the environment and climate change....not to worry, I was polite and professional...
it'll be interesting to see if they respond...
...jade

Please let us know if they do! I'm interested in what they have to say. Great thinking, Jade!
1917-ish

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

The best money on "green" on our old houses is in the heating and cooling department. I reduced our electricity consumption by around 40% by switching to ducted inverter mini splits. The system should last for many years.

Windows? Replacing them makes very little sense especially if you consider the cost of making a wooden storm. I actually had one window manufacturer threaten to testify at my competency hearing if I tried to order replacements through him. He was right and his numbers didn't lie.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

this is what I heard back from the ministry...actually I am pleasantly surprised that they responded...

Thank you for your email regarding rebates for historic windows. We appreciate the feedback that you have provided and we will consider the information for future program designs.

...jade

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Do you think that certification training early on would put you into a position to promote preservation as a part of the program?
It is quite effective here.
Last edited by Sashguy on Sun May 06, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.