What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by phil »

it makes the hours and hours working on one window (that will ultimately be hidden behind a shower curtain half the time) worth it.

There was a saying or a poem. to the effect that once the job is done , it remains, bu the hours spent are always forgotten in time.. If it's a mess it will bother you for eternity.

the window looks so nice and the color looks great too! I have all the half stripped ones in my living room patiently waiting for me to get off my duff ;)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

MJ, I have to agree with the others your window looks great, and as others have mentioned, the colour on the walls really do go well with the stain.
Well done.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Wow! Glorious window transformation!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

I got a few things done this past week when my dad visited me for a couple of days. New porch light installed. The old fixture was such an abused cobbled together mess (and not very unique or special) that I opted to replace with a new temporary fixture until I can find an appropriate antique. I think it looks pretty nice!

Also fixed a tiny leak on the 1st floor bath sink, properly mounted an existing light fixture in the basement that was just sort of dangling, and was finally able to get power to the garage door opener so I might actually be able to use the garage this winter (If I can figure out how to program the remote! ha ha!)! Woohoo!

I also added to the Christmas decorations and will post photos once I get the right extension cords and can light everything up. :)

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

That porch light is just the right blend of serious and whimsy. You find all the good stuff.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:That porch light is just the right blend of serious and whimsy. You find all the good stuff.

Ha ha! Thanks!
It makes me really want to work on that transom window. Instead of reglazing it, someone thought some masking tape with a little paint on it would do just as good. lol!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

The AOPIAS School of Home Repair. (Any old port in a storm.)

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

The transom has waited a hundred years, it can wait until spring. It's starting to get cold. Time to work inside. I hope you bit the bullet and put LED bulbs in the light fixture. Looks good. Your front porch sets the tone for the rest of the house.

I'm very glad you managed to work out the lead issue. Keep that certification because it'll be worth some money if and when you decide to sell. That's a special kind of sweat equity.

I'm repairing plaster this weekend. And putting up Christmas trees. And hopefully pressure washing the stove.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, light looks fine. It is on a chain though. When the wind blows it’s going to swing all over the place. I have seen period fixes for that, decorative chain connected to the walls and the lamp. Hold it in place

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Jeepnstein wrote:The transom has waited a hundred years, it can wait until spring. It's starting to get cold. Time to work inside. I hope you bit the bullet and put LED bulbs in the light fixture. Looks good. Your front porch sets the tone for the rest of the house.

I'm very glad you managed to work out the lead issue. Keep that certification because it'll be worth some money if and when you decide to sell. That's a special kind of sweat equity.

I'm repairing plaster this weekend. And putting up Christmas trees. And hopefully pressure washing the stove.

Thanks, I'll be forced to work on it this spring because it is going to need to be addressed as part of the lead issue. *sigh* At least I bought some time.

I am toying with the idea of etching the glass and gilding the address number on it... Eventually it would be so nice to put in leaded glass, but that's a ways off, I think!