What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote:James, I'm one to favor patina with rare exceptions as long as it's not badly done fake patina, and thus my answer would be heavily biased. I don't know what else would be in the room that would be complimented or conflicted with either finish.

I can't recall a time when I've "decorated" a place where I've lived, in the current, magazine sense of the word. The photos I've seen of clusters of live plants on mantels, far from a window and with no hope of survival much beyond the photo shoot, or S-M-L twig balls artfully arranged on a low coffee table do nothing for me beyond eliciting an eye-roll. Harmony, of course. I suppose that's why I'm asking about this. (Thank you all for your forbearance through this exercise.) The surroundings, walls in particular, will indeed make the difference.

Most recently, for the house, I've scheduled installation of a palm tree (Sabal palmetto) in my side yard. On the Gulf Coast, winter is the time of year to do this, allowing the palm to slowly develop roots and come out of dormancy with the arrival of spring. Also, an employee of the gas company who moonlights doing heating installations, has agreed to take on assembly of my hastily-disassembled 1940s Bengal stove (similar to the one pictured below) and to set it up in the kitchen, on a dolly, for easy disconnection and removal during kitchen renovations. The gas-on-gas designation means it contains a heater (at left - mine isn't rusty); this one is powerful enough to warm up the adjoining room as well. In this way, I can focus on my window restoration, fueled by "Bengal" coffee. :dance:

ImageBengal Stove - similar by James McInnis, on Flickr

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Brass tarnishes very quickly and shows fingerprints so for that reason I'd leave the patina as is , but I'd clean any paint or dirt off. That's just my opinion. I think it does devalue it but if it's solid brass it is what it is, it is still a beautiful piece, polished or not.

Phil

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Bathroom window finally reinstalled!

Started working on this sucker in the summer. The sashes have been done for a while, but only just recently painted the jambs and sill white. Also replaced the cords with copper plated chain. Pretty dramatic before/after IMHO!
Attachments
WindowBefore6.JPG
WindowBefore6.JPG (390.82 KiB) Viewed 245 times
WindowBefore5.JPG
WindowBefore5.JPG (554.38 KiB) Viewed 245 times
WindowBefore4.JPG
WindowBefore4.JPG (475.5 KiB) Viewed 245 times
WindowBefore3.JPG
WindowBefore3.JPG (552.21 KiB) Viewed 245 times
WindowBefore2.JPG
WindowBefore2.JPG (503.63 KiB) Viewed 245 times
WindowBefore.JPG
WindowBefore.JPG (39.3 KiB) Viewed 245 times
WindowAfter2.JPG
WindowAfter2.JPG (539 KiB) Viewed 245 times
WindowAfter.JPG
WindowAfter.JPG (548.41 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Wow - what a transformation! Well done. The wall color is beautiful against the wood, too. I'm curious about your choice of chain over cord. Was it an aesthetic or practical decision, or both?

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Wow! What a difference! That is absolutely gorgeous, and you've done a fabulous job.
Bonnie

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

MJ1987 wrote:Bathroom window finally reinstalled!

Started working on this sucker in the summer. The sashes have been done for a while, but only just recently painted the jambs and sill white. Also replaced the cords with copper plated chain. Pretty dramatic before/after IMHO!
Well done! :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Manalto wrote:Wow - what a transformation! Well done. The wall color is beautiful against the wood, too. I'm curious about your choice of chain over cord. Was it an aesthetic or practical decision, or both?

Thanks! I'm really glad the 'after' is dramatic--it makes the hours and hours working on one window (that will ultimately be hidden behind a shower curtain half the time) worth it. I found a 1920s color chip sample deck made by National Lead Paint Co (which I think became Dutch Boy) and matched the yellow sample to get the color for the walls. I was really hoping the color would set off the woodwork and I think it does so nicely. It's definitely brighter in person than in those photos. I got the :shock: look from my family the first time they laid eyes on it.

Chain versus rope. A formidable matchup IMO. Ultimately I chose the copper-plated chain for two reasons. First, the summers are hot and humid in NJ and winters fiercely cold and dry. All of the ropes in the house were broken and the opening and dropping of the sashes caused a lot of wavy glass breakage. Granted most were probably nearly 100 years old and served valiantly for decades. I still decided to switch to chain because it's just more durable. Second, I prefer the overall aesthetic. In my book, copper trumps nylon every time. Plus, they're both "appropriate" so the chain still looks right.
Matt

-Edwin Markham

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

MJ1987 wrote:I was really hoping the color would set off the woodwork and I think it does so nicely. It's definitely brighter in person than in those photos. I got the :shock: look from my family the first time they laid eyes on it.

The color reminds me of butternut squash. I think bathrooms are the place to go bold (and cheerful) with color because your time there is brief (God willing). ;-)

MJ1987 wrote:Chain versus rope...I still decided to switch to chain because it's just more durable. Second, I prefer the overall aesthetic. In my book, copper trumps nylon every time. Plus, they're both "appropriate" so the chain still looks right.

The copper-color chain looks terrific on your window. I asked because I've already bought my rope (with the red dots) and am having an internal debate - after the fact, of course. I think rope will be fine on my windows since they'll be covered by window treatments. I don't think I'll live long enough to see them fail.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Manalto wrote: The copper-color chain looks terrific on your window. I asked because I've already bought my rope (with the red dots) and am having an internal debate - after the fact, of course. I think rope will be fine on my windows since they'll be covered by window treatments. I don't think I'll live long enough to see them fail.

I think you're right--the copper certainly blends with the rich wood tones. I hadn't really thought of that, believe it or not. I suppose if the windows and jambs are all white, cord might blend better. I haven't gotten as far as treatments, as my house is still a total disaster/construction zone. The PO's actually left me a bunch of cord, but i'll probably just use it for a loooong clothesline...
Matt

-Edwin Markham

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

MJ1987 wrote:I haven't gotten as far as treatments...

I know it's fashionable to have nothing covering windows but in some parts of the world it's a necessity. I don't know if I'll have blinds, shades, shutters or draperies, but there will need to be something to keep the house from turning into an oven.