Fantastic 1920's Cleveland Mansion for Sale

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Fantastic 1920's Cleveland Mansion for Sale

Post by Manalto »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:The base styling is Georgian Colonial Revival, but the center of the house is Greek Revival, so it's really a blend.

Thanks for the identification. It seems that eclecticism was starting to calm down by this date, with this house an example of, as you say, a blend of related styles.

Note how the house is a series of setbacks: the entry hall, then two-windows wide on either side, then a single window wide. It adds dimension and interest to the facade. It's a technique that today's house builders use with abandon and less skill.

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

Really cool!!! But I don't quite understand why tall ceilings went out of vogue by early 20th century. For such a large mansion it lacks that 'grand' feeling that tall ceilings provide.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

That's a really good question. I wonder if it has anything to do with Cleveland's winters?

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

Manalto wrote:That's a really good question. I wonder if it has anything to do with Cleveland's winters?

I'm sure whoever built this house didn't have to worry about heating bills too much though.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Of course not. I was referring to comfort rather than cost.