Help! My historic neighborhood is in trouble!

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Re: Help! My historic neighborhood is in trouble!

Post by SarahFair »

It seems that everyone around here is a little weary in helping, at least publicly.
The owner of the land behind us has their hands in everything.

I got a call last night from a reliable source saying that the developers were completely nixing the idea of a fire gate.
The city probably told them they would have to maintain it during their course of ownership.

I emailed the mayor, all the city councilmen, and the head of economic development/housing committee.
The housing committee said they were not taking in any of the public for this meeting because due to renovations they would not have accommodations for the public, plus the public can not have any input within these meeting anyways.

In the email I sent out last night I included that "I know the public can not attend tomorrows hearing" to which I received a reply from someone on the housing committee and city council asking who told me that and that all meetings were public.
It told them who and copy and pasted the email back to them.

The lady that is ahead of the housing committee emailed me back saying
"Thank you for sharing your concerns. I'll pass that along to our team. However, I do want to clarify that the Mill District development has already been approved and is not really what we're discussing. What we will be evaluating is which development provides housing in line with the housing goals our team has established. And both developments do that for sure. I hope that helps! "

When your own website states development, "Invigorates and positively builds upon the existing downtown character and quality of life"

:wtf:

Soooo pretty sure that is apart of what you need to be discussing and evaluating.

My neighbor called her this morning and said she was very friendly and walked her through the process.
We both informed her that another phase of this development also has a LARGE residential phase that will become a continuation of our street.

She said that she's glad that was brought to her attention and that the project behind my house has now decided to loop the road to feed back out onto the highway.
I still dont trust it. That has to get approval from the city zoning, correct?
Im not letting my guard down but I feel like once the neighborhood hears this they will want to back out of the fight because their main concern was that road.

Any further advice would be appreciated.