Old House Sites

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
cat2014
Knows the area

Old House Sites

Post by cat2014 »

Just wondering - has anyone ever actually went and looked at the old homes that are for sale on the sites - like CIRCA Old Houses, or Old Home Dreams?
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

Deb
Knows the back streets

Re: Old House Sites

Post by Deb »

I know that Ross did...that's how he ended up with the Cross House. He saw it on Old House Dreams. I think many do the same. I saw our house online, and just wanted to see an almost 200 yr old house up close. Fell in love and the rest is history!

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

I've never heard of either of these, and took a peak today... very cool! Nice inspiration/daydreaming material! I wish they also included Canadian properties though!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Old House Dreams will fatten your Pinterest right up. I didn't even have a Pinterest before I started looking at that site.

I keep any pics from the listings which are useful for reference, or fantasy or whatever. The houses I own, in my imagination....and the prices for great places that are sort of nowhere...

There was this one property in New Mexico that was three early 20th c. stone cottages with a courtyard with old trees that made me wish so hard !

You can submit property listings to the site. Occasionally they have ones from Europe, like Scottish castles or houses from the 1400's in Britain.

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

One of my favorite haunts that I have not been back to in a good 6 months. It has helped me figure a few things out about my own house. I love taking trips into what others have done.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

cat2014 wrote:Just wondering - has anyone ever actually went and looked at the old homes that are for sale on the sites - like CIRCA Old Houses, or Old Home Dreams?

Kind of. There have been listings of homes I know (been in) prior to their listing on these sites. But we mostly have used both sites for:
1) decorating and retrovation ideas
2) consideration of retirement (but fewer listings are along coastal New England or Mid-Atlantic states)

We're more interested in saving old homes (same with antiques, dogs, and etc.) than buying an already restored one.

This one is right "up my alley": 4,000 sq.ft. @ $69,000
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.