Saga of the 1830 House

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Saga of the 1830 House

Post by oaktree »

That is just disgusting...I don't know how it can count as a heritage property anymore. There's nothing left!!!

My house was being advertised as a place you can live while you build your dream home on the back of my lot (lots of mansions surrounding me). While much of the original features were already gone, there's still a lot of history here and I love this house! I'm glad I saved it from further butchering or being torn down completely, especially after uncovering the original floors!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

Lily left the valley wrote:eclectic, it's funny you mention that 70s and 80s will be a thing soon. One of the sites I visit is mostly focused on MCM restorations, but even that site already has some 70s "time capsule" features and restos. They do look utterly of the age, which folks can love or hate, but it is already happening.

Randomly googled my grandparents house, which he built and found it on Zillow-they did change some things, like the carpet, paneling and real crystal chandolier in the dining room and the bathrooms aren't quite the same, but this place was a true time capsule when it was sold originally
http://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/ ... pg.147165/ . No one in the family lived in the area and it was listed for sale before he passed away-they were selling so they could move somewhere he could keep better care of her (dementia)-he passed away a DAY before closing though. MCM ish.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Ugh that whole thing is just sickening..!!

So is Hamilton getting ruined now too? I don't know if any of you watch the Canadian TV Series "Murdoch Mysteries" (Victorian era detective show) and they film in Hamilton because it has a lot of amazingly preserved buildings and homes I hope it doesn't mean those are going to be ruined now.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

What a shame!

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

I think the Jeld-Wen hollow core "six panel" doors lend a real authentic feel to the house. :roll:
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Eperot wrote:I think the Jeld-Wen hollow core "six panel" doors lend a real authentic feel to the house. :roll:

You can say that again

Don M

Post by Don M »

Too bad they didn't go back to the appearance of the place in the early photograph; that was outstanding.