Do You Hold an "Open House" for the Holidays?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Do You Hold an "Open House" for the Holidays?

Post by SouthernLady »

I know it's waaaay early for much holiday planning other than Thanksgiving for those of us in the States (seven weeks will fly by, you know), but I have already had about a dozen people ask me if I was going to host a Christmas open house at my home this year. :shock: I didn't realize it was such a hit, especially as I did it at the spur of the minute two years ago and the main buffet snack was mac & cheese in a crockpot! I had about 40 people flow through my house that day, some of which were complete strangers to me as some cousins brought their friends who seemed to think I lived in a museum... :roll: Naw, I didn't mind. I am a Southern lady, after all, and we are known for being great hostesses. That's a pretty good stereotype I suppose, if one must have one.

Last year I had a lot on my plate, so I just opened my home up to the youth group from my church. They were out caroling all night long to shut-ins and others, so I knew they would love some snacks. Hot chocolate, old fashioned cookies (ginger snaps were the favorite), and the old Victorian tradition of pizza rolls... lol. About 35 came by that night (kids ages 8-19 and a few parents snuck in when they found out they were coming to my house), and the kids sat there while I told them stories about the house that had just been passed to me. They actually enjoyed it, and some of them want to help me with the open house this year. There was only one tiny spill of hot chocolate, and that poor boy thought he was doomed to the dirt cellar! :roll:

With my schedule as busy as it is from here until February, I really do need to start getting a mindset as to what I want to do.

Is hosting an annual open house a weird thing, or is it just something people like to go to in an old house?

Have any of you hosted one? If you did, what kinds of food or what kind of setup did you have?

I have thought about making some simple invitations for this one and inviting my neighbors (many of whom I have not met yet past a friendly hand wave). I figured if I did one this year, I might have a little Victorian Christmas ornament craft station. People could make their own string of dried cranberries, apples, and oranges, cinnamon sticks, and nuts to hang in their tree and take home. I could have a few pre-made for those who wouldn't want to string their own. I might also keep the small fire pit hot on the patio for those who want to step outside for a bit. My house isn't "complete" yet, so I do feel a bit silly showing it off, but not so much so since there's a number of folks asking to come.

Thoughts?
Last edited by SouthernLady on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Do You Hold an "Open House" for the Holidays?

Post by JRC »

I think it's a great idea! It helps build community, and that just makes living in your old home even more pleasant.

There's also the sentimental idea that it's good to have life and laughter in old houses. How often do you hear people say, when looking at an old house: "imagine if those walls could talk?" Well, as the current caretaker of your old home, it's your turn to give the walls something to talk about. :-)

But, it takes the right kind of person to want to open their home to "the public." (even if you know most of the people, or they are otherwise connected to you, in some way) I've volunteered to host the neighborhood Christmas party this year, if we decide to have a private affair, that's not open to the general public. But, even though I'd be acquainted with everyone who'd attend, the idea still makes me a little nervous.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

We've hosted a number of events at our house, even in various states of completion. If we waited until we're done, we'd be dead before we have anyone over...

They've taken various guises and sizes as well: holiday, work colleagues(~80 people), birthdays (~130 people), charity org fund raisers (~150 people), architectural tours (~200 people), neighborhood association (~600 people), ... For the smaller ones we've often served appetizers and drinks.

I regularly get asked when we're going to have another one. It'll be after we finish the kitchen in a few weeks...

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Post by Kmarissa »

I think it's a lovely idea if you're comfortable with it. It seems like there's a whole spectrum of options available to you depending on what sounds appealing to you. If you wanted to have an annual gathering but were worried about the implications of "open house" getting out of hand, you could always have a party instead, and invite those folks that you want to meet. When we moved into our neighborhood, we were invited to a neighborhood party within the first month, and not only did we really appreciate being included by the hosts, but we got to meet a lot of our other neighbors as well.

One comment I will make though--I think it's easier to establish a small annual party and then grow the invite list as much as you're comfortable with, than start an annual open house tradition and then restrict it to an invite-only party later in time.

PS, October isn't too early to be thinking about Christmas. We've already been talking about when our own Christmas party might be!

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

We kinda take it over the top in Houston's Woodland Heights Historic District. For the past 25 years we've hosted a block party two weeks prior to Christmas where three historic streets are blocked off, decorations to the hilt, a band on the front porch every block and open houses everywhere.

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

Great idea for those that are comfortable with it. For the Empress and I it's not an option. Aside from showing the neighbors the antiques we are restoring... and my extensive tool collection. I don't think they would appreciate our holiday decor. Basically, Halloween type decorations for the entire holiday season. Though when I purchase a life size animatronic zombie/Frankenstein/ Wolfman...I will put a Santa cap on him. :-)
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.