never before seen sash "ribbon"

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Eperot
Stalwart

never before seen sash "ribbon"

Post by Eperot »

I'm sure Jade will chime in...i was on Vacation in MA in September and was walking around the very beautiful Fairhaven town hall. I noticed something I've never seen before...the window ballance was not supported by rope or chain, but by super thin metal about 3/8ths inch wide. The pulleys were totally flat in between the flanges to accept it. For lack of a better word, it looked like metal "ribbon" and was obviously original. Anyone seen this before?

Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: never before seen sash "ribbon"

Post by Casey »

Hi,
They are called "tape balances" they are still manufactured. Caldwell and Pullman were two manufs.. I have installed new ones on occasion, and tried to un-kink and repair old ones.
I think one place that sells them is called Blaine Window Hardware.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

many names--clock balance, tape balance, Pullman balance...
typically they are found where the window has no space behind the jamb for the weights...an approximately 4"x4" area is drilled out for the pulley housing and the tape is attached in a hollow at the side of the stile so that only the face plate is visible...they are typically made of a flat metal and not especially attractive...there are outfits that will 'bronze' them at a reasonable price...the tapes are custom tensioned for the weight of a particular sash....

I prefer balances from this company: http://www.llconceptsinc.com/ as they have a hole in the faceplate where you can fit a nail or small allen wrench to hold the tape out while attaching it to the sash...you DO NOT want your fingers in the way if the tape suddenly recoils...

eric, these are not the kind of ribbons you can where in your hair! were you visiting family in fairhaven? I seem to recall maybe your grandparents had a place in the area....

..jade

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Thanks Guys.

Jade, good memory. Yes, my Grandparents used to have a cottage out on a little island in Buzzard's Bay, but my parents sold it. Now i rent another cottage for my vacations. I just love love love it there. You would go gaga over these public buildings in Fairhaven. They were all built at the behest of Henry Huttleston Rogers, the #2 guy in charge at Standard Oil back in the late 1800's. No expense spared, and they remain fairly meticulously maintained. Adorable seaside town.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

There's another type, too. Like these in my house:

Mine are a ribbon of steel attached to the window at one end and a normal sash weight at the other...

This one is broken, obviously.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hmm, interesting...I see that the pulley wheel is flat and it is intended for use with a tape...I have never seen one that was attached to a weight...when you replace the tape, would you be so kind as to take a pic of where it attaches to the weight? you may be able to purchase the tape from l and l concepts or Pullman...
.......jade

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

mjt

Post by mjt »

heartwood wrote:when you replace the tape, would you be so kind as to take a pic of where it attaches to the weight? you may be able to purchase the tape from l and l concepts or Pullman...
.......jade

Thanks for the leads on the tapes! I've looked high and low but have not been able to find a source for them up till now.

I'm doing some work in the master bath this weekend and it will be easy to take one apart for you (even though the tapes aren't broken...).

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Like I said, Blaine Window Hardware; here:
http://www.blainewindow.com/BWH0022.php ... 021&page=1

OK?
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

mjt

Post by mjt »

Jade - here's the photos. One of where the ribbon attaches to the weight and the other where it attaches to the sash. So I don't need a pullman tape balance, I just need a couple of "sash ribbons". Apparently they were made of either steel or an aluminum/bronze material, depending on the manufacturer. The broken one in my kitchen is steel; it will hold a magnet. I haven't checked in other rooms; this one looks to be bronze to me...

It's a variant of this from the Associated Builders Catalog in 1912 Or this ad from the California Architect and Building News.