Eastlake chairs

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Eastlake chairs

Post by oaktree »

Yet another project...2 Eastlake chairs from ~1880s. I was tempted to buy 4 and restrained myself to buy only 2...I might go back for the other 2 (which were in worse condition but only $40 for the pair).

Just testing...

I know a good place to buy high quality fabric remnants and have an amazing upholsterer locally that will make these look great again!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Neighmond

Re: Eastlake chairs

Post by Neighmond »

Your place will soon be a showplace, I can't believe how far it's already coming!

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

/\ /\ Ditto what Neighmond said !!

Those chairs are beautiful! And what a great price you stole them at ;-)

Off Topic.... What is the finish on your floors? That are simply gorgeous.
We are about to start on ours - with so many options, I am looking for inspiration to steer the decision.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Thanks so much to you both! I know I don't have so much original features as many of you do, so I'm trying to make up for it with these other details.

I just put clear poly on the floor, but we think the floors are red pine, which might be what gives them that color? The poly does scratch easily on the soft floors...maybe next time I'd look more into shellac, but I am certainly not an expert on floor finishes! I was thrilled to get these to look this good because they used to be completely covered in black tar.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Oaktree you seem to have a knack for finding wonderful pieces for your home. I love looking at all the goodies you are so lucky to find.

* Appreciate the floor info. Yours are really beautiful. Ours are pine too, although we don't know exactly what species yet. Hoping the floor guy can help with ID and how best to finish them. Thanks
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Looking forward to seeing what you do with these.

The carved details are a treat to see.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Oaktree, well done. Both for the grand sum of fourty green backs. You know there a law against theft . :law-policered: I strongly believe that the upholstery would be original to the chair. Well done, look forward to seeing the finished chairs.

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Thanks everyone! There are lots of good deals to be had in MI, and I spend lots of time looking. I will take my time with fixing these up! :)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I'm addicted to old chairs too. I see them and I know I can fix them and next thing I know they are in the basement or the attic waiting for attention. Oh well they won't go bad, or out of fashion. They don't complain about the wait. at least I will never run out of things to do and get bored ;-) Those ones do have really nice carvings!

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

phil wrote:I'm addicted to old chairs too. I see them and I know I can fix them and next thing I know they are in the basement or the attic waiting for attention. Oh well they won't go bad, or out of fashion. They don't complain about the wait. at least I will never run out of things to do and get bored ;-) Those ones do have really nice carvings!

Thanks much! I have accumulated quite the collection of old chairs...they are both still sitting in the kitchen and living room, and, even though I can't sit in them yet, I don't mind. Plenty of other projects out in the barn/garage now too. :) The highest priority is a huge cupboard for the kitchen, but it's getting too cold to strip paint!