Patio furniture project.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Shrimpdip
Knows the area

Patio furniture project.

Post by Shrimpdip »

The search has finally ended. We had been looking for a while and finally struck gold on Craigslist. My grandparents had a set when I was a kid so I thought with an old house we needed old furniture for the back patio.

Here is what we brought home. It seems that everyone we have seen has been painter John Deere green.

This is what came back from the blaster. The guy said the last layer came off more like tape than paint.

And finally after lots of tape and spray paint.
ImageImage

The glider even squeaks just how I remember. We just have to watch as it will brand you on a hot day.
"How will we know it’s us without our past?" -John Steinbeck

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Re: Patio furniture project.

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

I love that!! Arghhh...now I have to go hunt for these!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Shrimp dip, well that looks great. The mid century folks will be envious (and it would seem at least one colonial :lolno: ).

Shrimpdip
Knows the area

Post by Shrimpdip »

Thanks! They are surprisingly comfortable considering that you are sitting on hard steel. Anything new that I put out there wouldn't last nearly as long as these have. These had obviously been neglected for the last 20 or 30 years but cleaned up great. The chair in the far left of the last picture has spring steel legs so you can bounce or lean waaaaay back. We have the standard old house wicker seats on the front porch. I'm thinking the next addition to the patio will be a striped roll up awning similar to what you see on old store fronts. The morning sun gets thing pretty hot back there in the summer.
"How will we know it’s us without our past?" -John Steinbeck

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Those are beautiful! I really love the way the white shows off the pattern in the seat and back..

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I remember when I was a kid it seemed like everybody had that set. Good to see them preserved for another generation!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I found a couple of the old aluminum fold out chairs with orange webbing. I love them and they are so light to carry. I guess I always remembered using them for camping and fun events and I was really happy to find a pair in nice shape.
everyone old remembers them but they didn't last so now I feel like I have the last pair ;-)

Yours look great. with powdercoat they should last for a long time now. Nice !

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

They look dandy! My mom had the two lawn chairs that had a little spring to them but I am a little too fat to trust them so I let my aunt have them. My neighbor lady has the glider sofa thing and it is very comfortable.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Well done! Beautiful!

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

These turned out beautifully!!! I have some 40s metal chairs, and I tried wire brushing with a power drill, which was not very effective, and considered stripping. You definitely think it's worth taking them to be sandblasted? May I ask how much it cost you to do that?
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan