1920's? Strange Lamp Finds

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
nhguy
Stalwart

1920's? Strange Lamp Finds

Post by nhguy »

I found some lamps at our local dump, but can't figure out what they were used for. My thinking is maybe some kind of piano or a podium lamp. I think they are 1920's, all had cloth cording this is just a guess. Non have any kind of name or embossing I could find. Any help would be appreciated. I checked the lighting catalogs Mick posted years back.
Attachments
Beige lamp1.jpeg
Beige lamp1.jpeg (109.36 KiB) Viewed 7583 times
beige lamp.jpeg
beige lamp.jpeg (74.34 KiB) Viewed 7583 times
Brown Lamp1.jpeg
Brown Lamp1.jpeg (284.34 KiB) Viewed 7583 times
Brown Lamp.jpeg
Brown Lamp.jpeg (90.36 KiB) Viewed 7583 times

nhguy
Stalwart

Re: 1920's? Strange Lamp Finds

Post by nhguy »

I spoke with a neighbor about the lamps as I was giving her some pin up lamps I also found. She thought they were used as a reading lamp on the headboard of a bed.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Rewired it and put on the guest bed.
It seems like it wants a taller headboard.
Attachments
bed lamp.jpeg
bed lamp.jpeg (128.43 KiB) Viewed 7557 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well there you go, ask a question! Answer your own question, restore and put back into service. All in one day. From the style and simplicity of the design I think both of these would have been on the cheaper end of the scale, but it does look nice.
Check out this page from a 1910 lighting catalogue, there is a lamp fitted as a piano lamp with the same shape as yours, it would not be a stretch to have brackets and hooks mounted rather than the pedestal mount.

http://www.oldhouselights.com/antique_l ... _frame.htm

Ron

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Thanks Ron. Once I get something in my head I need to find the answer. After my neighbor gave me her headboard lamp answer I did a search which brought up many versions, one quite close to this one.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

A bit late to reply, but you figured it out. Those were primarily used as headboard lamps, though similar lamps were also used by funeral homes to provide lighting effects in a viewing parlor.

I'd say the ones you found are from the '30s judging by the styling of them. Way too nice to be thrown out.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

I thought they were kind of interesting as I had no clue on the use, so I had to have a few. The dump always has treasures to behold.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the silk covered cord probably dates it to the 20's
wrinkle paint would look good on that thing.

they made a radio lamp like that It was made by "mitchell " called the lullaby lamp I think..

I found a socket that has the touch lamp feature. it works great. the switch on my lamp was bad so I just screwed that thing in the socket and now I just need to touch it..

we had one of those "clap lamps" in out guest cabin.. . It embarrassed a few as they wouldn't realize what it was until they started doing the "wild thing",, and then it would be blinking on and off rapidly.. everyone in the house a few hundred yards away would cheer them on as they would see the light flashing on and off and knew why,,

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

What a hoot!