Finally found some decent replacement furnishings

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Finally found some decent replacement furnishings

Post by Wackyshack »

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.32.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.32.04 PM.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 2846 times
The desk was from Boston - Paine's Furniture. The label on the back was the location of the factory during the 1880's
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.28.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.28.14 PM.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2846 times
This I found in an antique store. Had it rewired. Still had a ceramic socket.
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.24.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.24.36 PM.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 2846 times
This buffet is in the style of an RJ Horner, but there was no mark to prove it. Carved Oak.
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.24.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.24.24 PM.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 2846 times
A Renaissance Revival Buffet Deux Corp. In the style of Horner, but no markings to prove it. Carved Oak
7ft tall.
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.27.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.27.52 PM.png (1014.91 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
A lamp I bought 5 years ago and finally got it installed. Even in a room with a 9 ft ceiling I have to shorten the chain more.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.32.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.32.04 PM.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 2846 times
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Gothichome

Re: Finally found some decent replacement furnishings

Post by Gothichome »

Wackyshack, good to see your post. All those items are great. And I see no reason why the lager buffet could not be Horner, it has the deep carvings and most certainly the look the of a ‘money no object’ piece I don’t think I would be to far off from the third quarter of the 1800’s .The other buffet gives the feeling of a George Flint piece, I say this do to my preseaved overall flatness of the piece along with the fluted carvings of the uprights of the cabinet frame. Also the framing of the upper glass door to my eye has A&C look. So maybe into the the early 1900’s. The construction of the backs will give a hint. Your Boston built drop front writing table is a fine quality piece as well although in my view a bit down market from the buffets. The carving is not so deep, I do like the way the drawers impart a break front look. All of these cabinets would have been expensive when new. Good for you in finding and purchasing such fine furniture.

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Gothichome, thank you for your comments. I went back out to the internet to look at Flint pieces to see if I could find any matches to the buffet with the Arts and Crafts doors. I did find out that Flint & Horner were a team. I am glad you mentioned that you had a feeling the piece possessed A&C design. I liked the styling of it, but it didn't present to me as a "Victorian" in the same manner as the taller cabinet with the Renaissance relief in the center panel.

In an article in the Old House Journal there was mention about Horner and “First-Class and Medium-Quality Furniture” to serve both wealthy and middle-class markets, as their target in the market. The sample shown does possess the art style found in my Deux Corp buffet. I felt it was fancy as well, but I have found some on the internet which make mine look rather plain. Truth be told the piece is super ornate for my humble sized Folk Victorian Cottage.

Although I am very happy with the desk, as it is a quality piece, I didn't find anything that would even remotely harmonize with the other pieces and I will have to say I found I am rather found of Griffins. In the 1880 catalog of goods from Paine's, there was a more ornate desk which sold back then for $80. I am pleased with the desk as it has no scratches, and the locks all work. It was well taken care of. It is also small and on wheels so if we have to pull it away from the radiator which is behind it, I can.

The 2 buffets actually came to me as an accidental set. I had purchased the tall one because of its compact depth. The squat buffet was 2 feet in depth and was too large for the space I planned to use it in. Both of the buffets were in storage due to the owner having passed away, the husband relocating to Florida and the estate broken up among the remaining family members. No one had room for the buffets. They had been in storage over a year. I had made arrangements in Dec 2020, but due to scheduling (both of us being essential workers), I didn't actually obtain the buffet till March of this year (2021).
When the movers arrived, they were directed by the owner's son (who was left in custody of the items) to place all the boxes from the pod into the truck. Everything was already sealed. It wasn't until the boxes were in the house and being unpacked did I realize I had both buffets! I called the owner and let him know that we had "kidnapped" his other buffet. He told me to keep it. But at the price he was giving it away for, I paid him for both pieces. I did find a place for the larger, shorter one, but it displaced the ugly TV entertainment system. It was not a bad thing, but my husband's 2000 inch TV takes the whole thing up and blocks out the upper cabinet. Right now it is the best we can manage. I honestly thought I was going to be in the dog house when my son and I tossed the TV center unit out of the house and replaced it with the squat buffet, but hubby was actually happy with it. My dirty secret is that the TV cabinet was that horrid flake board junk, but when we bought it years ago it was all we could afford.

In the end my adoption of the buffets also made me a furniture friend. The family wants to keep in contact. I plan to dress up the buffets for the holidays and send them home made funny greeting cards from their furniture.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Wackyshack, hight is befinatly an issue in Victorian furniture. For a lot of pieces the only market for these taller furniture items is old home owners like you, myself and many others here in the District. Now you need to find an antique serving set to place on your buffet.

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Gothichome, a serving set.... you are giving me permission to go and hunt things down at some of the remaining antique malls - and that is NOT a bad thing!

For the moment I placed what I thought would work on the marble counter.

Next I have to find a tiny hall tree that is very compact in width and depth for the front hall. That one is going to take some doing, I have been looking for 5 years with no luck so far.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sure go ahead, good quality antique porcelain is going cheap these days. Find a antique pattern you like and start collecting it. Now if you are so inclined and can get it buy the vault keeper, antique sterling would also look nice on that buffet, either one of them.