c 1815-early 1820s Baltimore sofa

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

c 1815-early 1820s Baltimore sofa

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

My wife and I found this last weekend. After several hours of research and careful examination of the piece, we've concluded that it's a Baltimore piece with obvious inspirations from the work of Duncan Phyfe of New York. From the feet and the carvings on the back rail, I am fairly confident in saying it came from the workshop of William Camp, a fairly well known Baltimore cabinetmaker who died in 1822. These two areas on the sofa, as well as the entire front rail, are nearly identical to two sofas documented by the Maryland Historical Society as being made by Camp. One of the sofas they documented had an original receipt from Camp's shop dated 1817 with it.

Sorry for the bad picture. The 1990s rough texture upholstery doesn't do the piece any favors. This was just before we wrapped it and loaded it on the truck.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: c 1815-early 1820s Baltimore sofa

Post by Manalto »

Beautiful! Nice find. It looks to be in excellent condition. I like the clean, simple lines.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Colonial, what a great looking chesterfield. You can see the quality in its design and manufacture. All that fluting would be hand plained as well as the carving on the corners of the back. I noticed the slightly exposed framing on the vertical elements of the seat back, perfectly unify the back to the seat.
The upholsterer was a person of experience I think, the trimming of the seat follows the curve of the arms, also maintaining the unity of the design.
I think you may be hard pressed to find an upholsterer with the same attention to the details should you decide to reupholstere.

1918ColonialRevival

Gothichome wrote:Colonial, what a great looking chesterfield. You can see the quality in its design and manufacture. All that fluting would be hand plained as well as the carving on the corners of the back. I noticed the slightly exposed framing on the vertical elements of the seat back, perfectly unify the back to the seat.
The upholsterer was a person of experience I think, the trimming of the seat follows the curve of the arms, also maintaining the unity of the design.
I think you may be hard pressed to find an upholsterer with the same attention to the details should you decide to reupholstere.

I'll probably keep this upholstery. I have two other 1820s sofas, both Philadelphia pieces, that need upholstery work a lot more than this one. There's a gentleman in his 80s a couple of miles from here who does phenomenal work who I hope to get to do those pieces. I just hope he isn't planning on retiring soon!

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
I'll probably keep this upholstery. I have two other 1820s sofas, both Philadelphia pieces, that need upholstery work a lot more than this one. There's a gentleman in his 80s a couple of miles from here who does phenomenal work who I hope to get to do those pieces. I just hope he isn't planning on retiring soon!

Contact him sooner than later.

At this point, there are NO trade schools in North America that offer comprehensive upholstery programs any more. None ! The skilled upholsterers that are left are rapidly aging out of the business. There are younger people who have taught themself or bought a business and learned the trade that way, but it's not the same as a comprehensive 4 year full time education. There are some recent immigrants that were competently taught this trade in their country of origin, but they are the only ones left with adequate training.

I was really shocked to discover how this trade has been essentially written off.

p.s. It's a fine looking sofa, that is simple and well balanced.

1918ColonialRevival

I've got an English Queen Anne armchair from around 1720-30 that's stripped down to the frame I hope to be taking to him sometime in February. As soon as the budget allows, the box sofa will be going as well.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I did some local searching. was hoping to find a night school course where I could take my project and learn with an instructor, but the selection of courses is thin. I found a couple of pro shops that will train and one offers a course but it is expensive and the project is chosen and not that complex. I found a lot of how to videos on you tube and that's helping me learn. I did find some really great ones. I'm hoping that if I just try and get into doing mine then I may get some help with technique. the day before last I was at a supplier buying materials and we spoke about how the trade is disappearing. Like with my old radio hobby , it is good to learn what you can while there are people still able to instruct. Its fun to learn about something not many can do.
The sofa is really nice. I had no idea Duncan Phyfe went back that far but I looked it up. I have a table that is Duncan Phyfe and I figured maybe late 30's early 40's. the legs are a bit broken up and Ill repair it. it has brass feet with wheels. the same one was on I love Lucy. it has a unique ability to change height from a coffee table to dining table and the sides fold up or down to change the size of the top. It got very well used in my lifetime because it was always so handy. I assume perhaps although the design was old , its popularity may have carried over to about that time. I've seen other examples of similar dining tables but without the interesting height changing mechanism.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a nice big overstuffed sofa to restore but there are not a lot around worth the effort. If i keep looking I'll find what I want. I imagine something with big arms, a rounded shape to the back, some wood and a soft covering in a plush sort of deep red tone. I want something more comfortable and less "proper" That probably describes a couch from the 30's or so, kind of art deco I guess. I've seen many older pieces that dont look so comfy like rigid looking but beautifully carved eastlake designs and such.. This one really looks like something you'd use and feel comfortable with. the condition is so nice, good find.

bonesyjonesy
Just Arrived

Post by bonesyjonesy »

Very nice. It's a keeper !

chocolatepot
Settling in

Post by chocolatepot »

That is an absolutely beautiful piece! Such elegant and graceful curves.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Ohhh... I'm so jealous. I would do it up in velvet!
1939 Minimal Traditional