Beautiful light fixture on FB

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Beautiful light fixture on FB

Post by awomanwithahammer »

It says FREE, but I'm pretty sure they want some money for it. I'm sorely tempted to buy it myself, but I'd be happy to pick it up if anyone here wanted it.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 061108600/
Bonnie

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Beautiful light fixture on FB

Post by Manalto »

I've deleted my Facebook account (ahhhhhh... it was like removing a tumor) Can you post a photo?

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I don't have a facebook account and I can see it.

The first one looks like it's cast bronze, so it's likely a good quality fixture. Probably 1920s. The other two aren't as interesting, at least to me.

I really wish people would post an asking price instead of "make me an offer". At least you'd know if they've got their head in the clouds or not.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, I can’t seem To pull an image for posting. This is the link, not sure if it will work for you though. It’s still a Facebook page.
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item ... ghts&mdf=1
Colonial, AWWH, that is a fantastic looking lamp, every thing there, the shades certainly look like the original shades has just the right amount of patina and dust to be unrestored, but otherwise looked after well after.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:I don't have a facebook account and I can see it.

I no longer have a Facebook account and was unable to see it, hence my request. I would have thought that was self-explanatory.

Thanks, Ron, I was able to see it with your link.

1918ColonialRevival wrote:I really wish people would post an asking price instead of "make me an offer."

I agree 100%. They want you to make an offer from a photograph? Or do they want you to drive X miles only to learn that their expectations were unrealistic? I either reject "make me an offer" listings right away or, if I'm really interested, insist that the seller give me some idea of his/her expectations. Usually they'll have a number in mind and it's usually delusional.

awomanwithahammer

Sorry, James, I didn't realize you couldn't see the listing without an account. Here's one for anyone else who can't see it.

Yeah, I was really only considering the chandelier. The others are, meh, and I hate the cabinet knobs.
Bonnie

awomanwithahammer

So what do y'all think would be a fair price to offer? I messaged the guy and he said he's had a couple of offers but they want it shipped right now. I'd be inclined to offer $50-$75. Do you think that's too low?
Bonnie

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Give it a try. Yours might be the first real offer.

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

awomanwithahammer wrote:So what do y'all think would be a fair price to offer? I messaged the guy and he said he's had a couple of offers but they want it shipped right now. I'd be inclined to offer $50-$75. Do you think that's too low?

That seems like a fair offer. I'd start with $50. It's a nice fixture - not over the top, but you can tell it was better made than a lot of the cheaper fixtures of the period.

Hopefully all it will need is a light cleaning and maybe fresh wiring if any is damaged or deteriorated.

Good luck!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I think you folks are undervaluing this fixture. It has its original shades that perfectly match the polychrome of the frame, the shades just flow properly from the frame. Most lights of this vintage have had their shades replaced and just do not look as cohesive as this. I think it’s a $200 (Can.) at the least. And I see some modern two conductor wiring so it looks to already be electrically updated.
I think you will be hard pressed to find a nicer, all original one.