Any lighting officiandos out there?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Crystelle
Just Arrived

Any lighting officiandos out there?

Post by Crystelle »

Trying to place these lights. Pretty sure the far right is from the 40s or 50s... not sure about to others. Open to ideas.
20191102_140706.jpg
20191102_140706.jpg (708.68 KiB) Viewed 2171 times

Close ups with the pendants still on
20190616_150120.jpg
20190616_150120.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 2171 times
20191102_140706.jpg
20191102_140706.jpg (708.68 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
Great link if you have a row home and are in Philadelphia https://www.phila.gov/media/20190521124 ... Manual.pdf

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Any lighting officiandos out there?

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Hard to say without seeing them up close, but from the styling, they look like "traditional" styled fixtures that were made in the 1960s or later. To say for certain, we would need to see up close pictures of construction details and the lamp sockets.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Crystal, my thoughts, first three late twenties into the forties, the Glass chandelier appears to be modern but I dought it was a cheap lamp.
Check these period catalogues out.
http://www.oldhouselights.com/catalogs_frame.htm
We have lots of period information in the Districts library.

1918ColonialRevival

Gothichome wrote:Crystal, my thoughts, first three late twenties into the forties, the Glass chandelier appears to be modern but I dought it was a cheap lamp.
Check these period catalogues out.
http://www.oldhouselights.com/catalogs_frame.htm
We have lots of period information in the Districts library.

I was thinking the second one from the left could be from the '30s, but it looks very similar to a fixture my aunt and uncle had in their entryway that was installed during a whole house renovation they undertook in the "traditional" manner around 1966.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Colonial, the sixties you think, I don’t see it but you’re pretty good at these things. I thought thirties to forties do the fussiness of the construction especially the third from the left. All three I think have been refitted judging by the generic canapés.

1918ColonialRevival

Gothichome wrote:Colonial, the sixties you think, I don’t see it but you’re pretty good at these things. I thought thirties to forties do the fussiness of the construction especially the third from the left. All three I think have been refitted judging by the generic canapés.

That's why we need more detailed pictures. The construction will tell the tale ;-)

Heavier castings with muddied details along with black-washed brass accents will almost certainly mean they are later pieces. If there are any Phillips head screws, they are almost certainly post-WWII.

In the 1960s, there were two very different trends of decorating tastes. The Mid-Century look is what immediately comes to mind; however, there was also a pseudo-Traditional movement that combined styling elements from eras ranging from the Jacobean and William and Mary eras all the way through the Eastlake styles of the 1870s-80s and everything in between.

This trend continued into the 1970s and early 1980s. My parents have a light in their dining room that at first glance appears to be an antique gas chandelier of the 1880s or 1890s that had been converted to electricity. However, closer inspection reveals that the brass had been artificially aged, the castings have much lower relief and much less detail than an original would, and that the valves at the base of each individual light are nothing more than a decorative screw. I remember when the light was installed over the winter of 1983-84 and it was new in the box.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

A friend had two crystal chandeliers original to his 1930 house in VA. You could look through the lighting catalogs in the reference part of the site to figure out the age. My guess is the 1930's or 40's on all of them.

Crystelle
Just Arrived

Post by Crystelle »

Heading to look at the catalog now! I only took close up pictures of the two that I needed to put the crystals back on so I have these now:
brass chandelier.jpg
brass chandelier.jpg (150.99 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

clear chandelier.jpg
clear chandelier.jpg (180.15 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Great link if you have a row home and are in Philadelphia https://www.phila.gov/media/20190521124 ... Manual.pdf

Crystelle
Just Arrived

Post by Crystelle »

searching through the catalogs we have right here on the site I only found one example that looked like mine - I think it was the catalog from 1934 (Sears Lighting Catalog).
clear chandelier lookalike.jpg
clear chandelier lookalike.jpg (618.24 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

This does make some sense as I think the floors were covered in linoleum around 1945. I found a newspaper used as cushion for the flooring:
newspaper.jpg
newspaper.jpg (174.45 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

1918ColonialRevival

Now that's a clearer picture!

The fixture with the brass leaves is probably mid '30s to early '40s. In other words, the era just before WWII.

Still hard to say about the all glass fixture as those were made for decades. Sliding one of the paper candle bodies up and taking a look at the socket will help narrow it down.