Antique flatlining

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Antique flatlining

Post by Corsetière »

I have not found anything cool in ages. It's actually starting to depress me! lol!
But I am going to Cincinnati (aka The Paris of the Midwest :lol: ) next week to try some new stomping grounds. Wish me luck!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Antique flatlining

Post by phil »

You better feed the monkey before you end up in pottery barn ;-)

I find many of the younger generation are not interested in antiques and prices slumping on a lot that I've amassed in my pile. You tend to collect the higher end stuff and that's more stable. I'd advise other collectors to get into postage stamps. they are easier to store!

I bought three radios last weekend but last night I sold a dishwasher that I picked up for free for 80 bucks so I broke even.. The number of emails it took to sell a dishwasher was incredible and it was actually a nice shiny stainless steel one. I know its as much about he thrill of the chase than the actual kill. Ive been trying my best to bring less home but Ill admit it I'm addicted too. it eventually surfaces as an issue when you are trying to reorganize everything in order of what can be on top of the pile without being damaged..

last night I was looking for the amplifier I have that matches the tuner I just bought. i ended up sifting through stuff and thinking wow I need to part with more and get more selective. the problem is the selling isn't as gratifying for me.

have fun!

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Seems like it goes in cycles around here. The best months by far tend to be March through June, then July and August. Things start to slow down in September and usually remain slow through the early Spring.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

as requested, I am wishing you an abundance of luck!!
may your new find fit perfectly for you wallet, in your car and around your house!
....jade

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote:... it eventually surfaces as an issue when you are trying to reorganize everything in order of what can be on top of the pile without being damaged...

Wouldn't it be nice to park my car in the garage? Sigh.

Postage stamps, that's a good one. Only if you expect to be buried with them!

An antique dealer told me that what's hot right now with the younger customers is the dreaded mid-century modern (I only say dreaded because the MCM label is so recklessly applied.) The bulk of the furniture that was sold in the 50s and 60s was not that style so a lot of it goes wanting for a home. Around here, real antiques, except for the high-end stuff, as Phil mentioned, don't seem to generate much interest.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Antique shopping is a lonely thing to do nowadays. I browse through the only customer in the shop. The owners say they still do business but much on Ebay, sending items all over the world, according to one shop who specializes in vintage clothing. The Japanese have a fascination for vintage clothing she said, who knew? My latest craze is vintage bamboo fly rods. I've been fly fishing for several years, but always enjoy using antiques, like in woodworking. I came across a $10.00 unnamed 8' rod recently and it casts very well. I caught and released 12 brook trout on my first outing with it. Now I need to find a few good antique fly reels. Fly rods don't take up much room either, so there's that. Now I have to craft a wall rack to display them either in the new renovated living room or hallway. I forgot to say I bought a second one already an inexpensive Montague Rapidan 8.5' fly rod. in used condition in the sock and original cardboard tube. Going into next year I want to find a 6-7' for the small streams I sometimes fish around here. Good luck in Cincinatti, say hello to my cousin who lives there. He grew up in Columbus.

Shrimpdip
Knows the area

Post by Shrimpdip »

The Springfield Antique and Flea Market Extravaganza is at the Clark County Fairgrounds this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Were not looking for anything specific but always go to see what is out there. They usually have some nice stuff. Plus there is a guy who makes great ice cream with an old hit miss engine.
"How will we know it’s us without our past?" -John Steinbeck

phil

Post by phil »

nhguy wrote:Antique shopping is a lonely thing to do nowadays. I browse through the only customer in the shop. The owners say they still do business but much on Ebay, sending items all over the world, according to one shop who specializes in vintage clothing. The Japanese have a fascination for vintage clothing she said, who knew? My latest craze is vintage bamboo fly rods. I've been fly fishing for several years, but always enjoy using antiques, like in woodworking. I came across a $10.00 unnamed 8' rod recently and it casts very well. I caught and released 12 brook trout on my first outing with it. Now I need to find a few good antique fly reels. Fly rods don't take up much room either, so there's that. Now I have to craft a wall rack to display them either in the new renovated living room or hallway. I forgot to say I bought a second one already an inexpensive Montague Rapidan 8.5' fly rod. in used condition in the sock and original cardboard tube. Going into next year I want to find a 6-7' for the small streams I sometimes fish around here. Good luck in Cincinatti, say hello to my cousin who lives there. He grew up in Columbus.

are the old creels very collectable? I have a couple of old wicker ones put away.

phil

Post by phil »

Shrimpdip wrote:The Springfield Antique and Flea Market Extravaganza is at the Clark County Fairgrounds this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Were not looking for anything specific but always go to see what is out there. They usually have some nice stuff. Plus there is a guy who makes great ice cream with an old hit miss engine.

we have a fairbanks morse one with a water pump. It was used to fill the trains with water. My dad restored the pump repainted it and we had it running. Fun to see and hear the thing. It sat covered but the cover failed. instead of a radiator they have a big water jacket that surrounds the bore of the piston. The casting cracked so it needs some mending but it's a cool machine. he fitted a flat belt but I dont think we actually pumped water with it. It has a separate part with a pump driven by a flat belt.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

phil wrote:
nhguy wrote:Antique shopping is a lonely thing to do nowadays. I browse through the only customer in the shop. The owners say they still do business but much on Ebay, sending items all over the world, according to one shop who specializes in vintage clothing. The Japanese have a fascination for vintage clothing she said, who knew? My latest craze is vintage bamboo fly rods. I've been fly fishing for several years, but always enjoy using antiques, like in woodworking. I came across a $10.00 unnamed 8' rod recently and it casts very well. I caught and released 12 brook trout on my first outing with it. Now I need to find a few good antique fly reels. Fly rods don't take up much room either, so there's that. Now I have to craft a wall rack to display them either in the new renovated living room or hallway. I forgot to say I bought a second one already an inexpensive Montague Rapidan 8.5' fly rod. in used condition in the sock and original cardboard tube. Going into next year I want to find a 6-7' for the small streams I sometimes fish around here. Good luck in Cincinatti, say hello to my cousin who lives there. He grew up in Columbus.

are the old creels very collectable? I have a couple of old wicker ones put away.

I'm not sure as I don't collect them.