Antique flatlining

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Gothichome

Re: Antique flatlining

Post by Gothichome »

Upper management and I are going to an out door fair this weekend, the Aberfoyle Antique Fair. One of the bigger fairs, they have a special one day only event in the spring and late summer.
Maybe find a second mounted nautilus. No fancy made on the spot ice cream though. And Corcetiere, May the god of dusty things smile on you as you hunt for treasures.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Shrimpdip wrote:The Springfield Antique and Flea Market Extravaganza is at the Clark County Fairgrounds this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Were not looking for anything specific but always go to see what is out there. They usually have some nice stuff. Plus there is a guy who makes great ice cream with an old hit miss engine.

I know, I had plans already or else I would have been there! I seemed to have missed all of the Extravaganzas this year.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Thanks for the well wishes guys! I am trying to avoid buying heavy big furniture that I will have to move before I finish the floors. ha ha! But of course that is what I am drawn to right now!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Corsetière wrote:Thanks for the well wishes guys! I am trying to avoid buying heavy big furniture that I will have to move before I finish the floors. ha ha! But of course that is what I am drawn to right now!

Buy what you really love, not what you think will increase in value or might be needed or wanted by someone else, or what you think is the best value for your money. with age you'll forget what you paid ;-) I sometimes see things and think that's a good value but then I have to remind myself that then I need to sell it and selling stuff is not my favorite pastime.

If you get an in with an antique store owner, and if you like flipping things then find out where they buy and what they look for. They are experts in knowing what people want. If you can go to the same auctions they do , sit and watch and note what things they buy or avoid. the auction prices tell the story. many will watch and just note the cost of each item to gain knowledge. I used to like putting in opening bids and drop out quickly bid and let go bid and let go... . now and then the auctioneer would bring the hammer down early when the crowd was starting to bid too slowly. Then I'd get a deal and everyone would wake up and bid more quickly. The auctioneers try to maintain momentum because people overbid when they are excited so sometimes they will let a few things go before they meet the maximum price just to get people excited ;-)
what happens is they start high with no bid , then they lower the bids to get a bid. Once the auctioneer accepts the first bid the item is sold, the only question then is to who so they like it when you speed things up by not forcing them to some low amount before they get the first bid. time is money for them too.

what happens is the inexperienced lock up , get all excited and stubborn and hold their hand up too long, then pay too much. often they recognize some of the drama that is at play but they think they will teach the crowd a lesson that they will never give up.. then people will bid them up high and drop out to teach them a lesson.. other things can happen like friends of the owner of the item bidding it up to make sure it doesn't go too cheap. That happens on Ebay too. some of the experienced bidders do it so quickly you can't see them move and they tend to not get as emotionally involved as the inexperienced. Its so much fun to watch if you get the chance... I never find good deals in antique stores. auctions or garage sales are better unless it is something specific you want. I do like browsing them though.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I like auctions, always exciting.
Well how did every one make out with the antique hunt. I did reasonable well. Found a very Victorian Bristol glass vase.
Also bought a late Victorian/early nineteen hundreds cloisonné salters with mother of pearl spoons.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Ron, I'd like to poke around your house and just look at stuff. Good going.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, just don’t ask any questions, my answers will be long and will bore you. :D

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

You underestimate my boredom threshold (or maybe how boring I am) because I find your answers interesting.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I dont think most old home owners know what bored feels like because there is always something to do.

bonesyjonesy
Just Arrived

Post by bonesyjonesy »

I know how it feels to flatline in the antique world. I love to go to every place I see to search for treasures. I especially love furniture. Alas, I am forbidden to purchase any more furniture. Our 15 room house is full. By full I mean, it's not overflowing, just right amount of furnishings for each room to make them comfortable and pretty.. I'm not a stuff it in the room til there's no room to walk or even see what one has. However. it doesn't make me a happy camper to NOT be able to purchase perfect pieces that I find. I thought about storing pieces in the attic, but would never go up there to drag down stuff to change out anything.
So, alas, I will pretend to be happy with no more stuff coming into the Nut House . The Nut House is full. Boo Hiss Hiss.