Antique flatlining

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Antique flatlining

Post by phil »

what will increase in value and what will not is an interesting topic. Imagine if you could move ahead 50 or 100 years and look on ebay or it's equivalent and see how things changed. perhaps since antiques are at a low point there is opportunity, but what things would you expect to increase in popularity? furniture will always be needed. Im not convinced AM and shortwave radios that I collect are great examples of what I expect to increase. maybe some that I restore could end up in museums and be preserved for much longer than I ever imagined. I dont think nice usable furniture or lamps are going out of fashion anytime soon. Anyone care to make a prediction? I think MCM is the flavor of the day because people like to buy what they remember having as kids and a lot of 30 year olds have expendable income. age value and rarity dont always coincide, The market is driven by supply and demand.

today I needed to take my laptop out. I rarely transport it. I had a quick look around and found I had a soft leather briefcase made by Pierre Cardain.. turned out to be just the right size for a laptop. pouches for cables, an arm strap, perfect ! It's all worn but intact and I kind of found a new appreciation and use for it.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Antique stores around me have continued to close, sadly. I keep an eye on facebook marketplace and craigslist, but even those platforms have kind of fallen off. There's a great consignment shop in Hawthorn, NJ that really has a crazy mix of stuff. It's called Then and Now. I've shopped and consigned there for year and the owners are GREAT. Worth a gander if you're stuck at home. They'll always be willing to talk about the price if you find something you love. They're mostly decorative items but do also have furniture, architectural, kitchenware, etc. Like I said, worth taking a gander online or stopping in if you're local. They'll be virtual for at least the next two weeks as the COVID-19 numbers rise here in NJ but the store is worth going out of your way for when it's open. Sorry if this sounds like a plug--I just love their stuff so much :D
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

We are fortunate here to not have a total shut down, well at least before the last set of covid rules, so have had antique no flatlines yet.Up to the last month we have not purchased any thing of significance. But we were able to get into the shops, and some times thanks all we need, if nothing else it gets us out of the house for the day.