Gilded Figural Art Nouveau Plaques

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Gilded Figural Art Nouveau Plaques

Post by Corsetière »

I think this pair was an exceptionally good auction find. :lol:

I need to do a little repair on the border of one so I sent out a couple of requests for appraisal to make sure they aren't a high end, collectible maker, before I start working on them. I'm confident I can do a good quality aesthetic repair but I just want to make sure they are not Fouquet, Lalique, or Tiffany first. :lol:

They look like gilded spelter and appear to be period....

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Gilded Figural Art Nouveau Plaques

Post by Willa »

Wow ! What a super find ! How big are they ?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gilded bronze Corcetiere? I think I would just leave to rub through alone, it’s in the right places for a hundred years old dusting. I think they are of high quality casting, the instruments are cast separately and added, so are the raised parts of the musicians I think. I bet they were very expensive when new, About nineteen hundred I would think in a European Art Nouveau style rather than N. A. Art Nouveau style.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:Wow ! What a super find ! How big are they ?

Thanks! A pretty good size - 21" by 14.5"

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

Those pieces are phenomenal.
If you need a referral for a gilder please let me know. She teaches at a local school and does great work.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Gilded bronze Corcetiere? I think I would just leave to rub through alone, it’s in the right places for a hundred years old dusting. I think they are of high quality casting, the instruments are cast separately and added, so are the raised parts of the musicians I think. I bet they were very expensive when new, About nineteen hundred I would think in a European Art Nouveau style rather than N. A. Art Nouveau style.

Yeah I think they are French. They are very similar in proportion and quality to French newel post lamps. There's a lot of nuance and sensitivity in the faces and hands. The only thing I need to repair is the breaks in the frame and the harp, they're currently detached. I think they are really interesting and I wonder how they were originally displayed. They are a bit fragile because they are likely spelter (the metal is silver). There's no hanger on the back of them. It makes me think they originally had some sort of support behind them? I could picture them mounted on a beautiful mantle or a cabinet....

I think they belong in my entryway near my figural newel post lamp. Maybe on either side of a grande hall tree or pier mirror? This is good inspiration to finally get my crown molding and picture rail installed! lol! I have decided to go full Art Nouveau in that room. :)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, I think they would look great displayed on table easels at either end of a large table or two smaller tables not so far apart as not to see both at once from slight distance. A full room devoted to Art Nouveau, that would look great and a bit out of the ordinary.
Some thing like this.
http://www.circaantiquesltd.com/Catalog ... Easel.html

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

The "wow"factor is certainly there.
Oops
Last edited by Manalto on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Corcetiere, I think they would look great displayed on table easels at either end of a large table or two smaller tables not so far apart as not to see both at once from slight distance. A full room devoted to Art Nouveau, that would look great and a bit out of the ordinary.
Some thing like this.
http://www.circaantiquesltd.com/Catalog ... Easel.html

That's a really darned good idea, Gothic! I could see a really grande, long mirror on the wall with a console below...the plaques on easels on top of the console..... :D

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:The "wow"factor is certainly there with these pieces and I agree that an art-nouveau room would be distinctive in a North American house. It might be nice to have a clock in the front hall...

...or is that getting too crowded?

Looking forward to seeing how you do it!

Funny you should mention it, I am eyeing a mantle garniture set that has a lovely art nouveau clock.... ;)