20's lighting find

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

20's lighting find

Post by Corsetière »

I found this 1920's pair yesterday! I am not sure if the 5 light fixture was intended to be flush mount originally or if it just missing the canopy and chain...

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: 20's lighting find

Post by Willa »

That's a great score ! Knowing you, you probably paid $ 5.00 for both !

I think the 5 light fixture was suspended from a chain or chains, with a ceiling cap (is there a proper name for that part ?). Keep your eyes peeled for a box of antique lighting "junk" that you can harvest the parts from.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, I believe it had a chain like the four bulb chandelier. Others often had a stiff frame.
Didn’t you restore one a couple of years ago, or was that someone else. Here is a fully r extorted one with the frame.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Oh wow, the colors!
1939 Minimal Traditional

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Original cast polychrome fixtures of the late '20s era are getting harder to find in good condition. Congratulations on these.

The five bulb fixture likely had a decorative piece of hollow pipe in the center connecting it to a canopy or a decorative cast vertical support. I've also seen them that had decorative cast supports attached to the tops of the areas where the bulb sockets are that ran upward and inward to a center canopy. Then there's also plain chandelier chain, which was usually replacement for cast pieces that were broken.

There are at least three types of materials these were usually made from: cast iron, cast aluminum, or pot metal. There were also high end versions done in cast bronze. Of them all, the pot metal fixtures usually fare the worst. The others are pretty durable.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

This thread has been helpful, thanks. I acquired this a while back for my living room

and was unsure how to install it. There is a center switch, presumably to vary your illumination. I had thought it might be mounted directly to the ceiling, but for most houses of that era (and most people of normal height), a stepladder would be required to do that. On the back, through the snarl of wires, you can see the two screw-holes where the bracket would attach.

Do I have much hope of finding a suitable bracket, or is the best solution going to be a length of chain?

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Here are some similar fixtures from Ebay, that show a variety of suspension/mounts:

s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg (475.85 KiB) Viewed 657 times

s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg (145.14 KiB) Viewed 657 times

s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 657 times

s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg (773.53 KiB) Viewed 657 times

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Corcetiere, I believe it had a chain like the four bulb chandelier. Others often had a stiff frame.
Didn’t you restore one a couple of years ago, or was that someone else. Here is a fully r extorted one with the frame.

Yes! I started restoring a pair of huge ones I had purchased and then got hit with the lead abatement nonsense, so I had to set it aside for a bit. I finished restoring one but then decided I was unsatisfied by the color of gold I chose, so i will end up repainting it, I think!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:Here are some similar fixtures from Ebay, that show a variety of suspension/mounts:

s-l1600-1.jpg

I'm wondering if it was like that flush mount one...
Though I suppose I could so whatever I felt like if I can find a similar part. I feel like I am eventually going to have a side hustle in antique lighting because I see finding great pieces. lol!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:That's a great score ! Knowing you, you probably paid $ 5.00 for both !

I think the 5 light fixture was suspended from a chain or chains, with a ceiling cap (is there a proper name for that part ?). Keep your eyes peeled for a box of antique lighting "junk" that you can harvest the parts from.

The ceiling cap is called a "canopy". Yes! I have been searching ebay!
I need two coordinating light fixture in the downstairs bath so, this might fit the bill!

Ha ha! You know me well... $15 for the pair! :lol: :lol: :lol: