Is this a bar?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Is this a bar?

Post by GinaC »

Hi all, I picked this cabinet up in March at a going out of business sale at an antique store here in Vermont. I have no idea where I'm going to put it, but I just fell in love with it.

The whole thing is mirrored, and the skeleton key works. I figured it was a bar because where the shelf is cut off could be used for storing taller bottles. What do you think?

1939 Minimal Traditional

Gothichome

Re: Is this a bar?

Post by Gothichome »

Gina, I would suggest it’s a eterge. Often referred to as whatnot. This is a bit of a chameleon in that it could fit into your dinning room, parlour, you fill it with nice things for display, often porcelain or pictures. The cupboard and the draw for extra storage. If you use it the dining room your sterling silverware can go in the draw and your fine Meissen or Minton porcelain on the shelf.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I second that it's an etagere. These were popular in the very late 19th and early 20th centuries. Kind of like a cross between a bookcase and a curio cabinet. Yours looks like it may be British.

I'd date it at about 1910.

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Awesome, thank you! I was kind of hoping that it wasn't a bar because I'm not a drinker. :p

Why would the inside cabinet be mirrored, though? Maybe to reflect light onto the pretty things in there when you opened the door?
1939 Minimal Traditional

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Maybe for glassware because it would reflect light off the mirror?
Bonnie

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

During that same era, a lot of mantels and pieces of furniture had mirrored backs. I believe the theory was the mirror gave the illusion of depth (i.e., more space).

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

To me, it looks like a gentleman's dresser converted into a bar. Is there evidence that someone has cut into it?

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

No, the only thing that looks tampered with are the inside shelves, as they do not look original.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gina, I think 1918colonial has the date pegged pretty close. The glass on the inside as AWAH suggests is just to reflect a bit of light, it also gives the impression you have twice as much fine crystal.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the mirror doesn't look wavy or silvered glass the reflection isnt' distorted . that shelf doesn't seem to fit. I think a lot of whatever was on the front has gone missing. look at the rabbitt near the front edge to try to get an idea if it had a door that opened or drawers or something. i often see radio phonos that were converted to bars but that latch seems old. funny how the door has mitered corners. they aren't usually done that way because of wood shrinkage. I'm not sure of the purpose. why the little bars along the bottom edge? maybe it started life as a bar until it became a TV cabinet or something?