Mom and Dad's Silver Plated Flatware

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Mom and Dad's Silver Plated Flatware

Post by GinaC »

So I went looking through the boxes of stuff that were shipped to me from my mother's house after she passed in 2017. I knew there was a set of silver flatware that was so seldom used that I had forgotten what it looked like. I was hoping that the style was not what we used from day to day. (I call that 1960's "modern Oriental" style.)

In any case, imagine my surprise and joy when I found the below -- it is exactly the right style for my new house! It's King Edward silver plated flatware. Apparently this design, Moss Rose, was made in either 1936 or 1951. If it's the 1951 version it makes sense since my parents married in 1950. If it's the 1936 version, I guess it came from my grandmother through my aunt and finally to my mother? How does one tell?

EDIT: Upon further research, I found that this pattern is from 1949, so it is Mom and Dad's wedding set! And I intend to use the heck out of it since they never did.

1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Mom and Dad's Silver Plated Flatware

Post by Manalto »

Good re-discovery! The silverware has its shine so it was stored correctly and the chest probably has a tarnish inhibitor in the lining. If you put it in the dishwasher, supposedly you shouldn't mix with stainless because of a chemical reaction. Or you could just wash it by hand.

I remember, when I was a kid and my parents switched from silver to stainless for everyday use, disliking the metallic taste of the stainless steel. I can't tell the difference anymore; either stainless has changed or my tastebuds have.

Silverware from that era is smaller than your average flatware today, like coffee cups and just about everything else related to food. (Does that explain why people were more slender?) The cream soup spoons are good for cereal - and soup, of course.

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Yes, the tag on the chest says that it's treated and to keep the silverware in there. I don't think it was used at all, or maybe once or twice. I know my parents' taste, and this isn't it. I'm thinking it was a gift that just got stored forever.

Honestly, I've never eaten on anything but stainless steel, so maybe my food will taste better, haha! So I can put it in the dishwasher as long as there's no stainless with it? I do plan on hand washing it, but it's good to know that I can put it in the dishwasher when I get lazy.

I found a set of "iced tea spoons" on Ebay in the same pattern for $40 yesterday and scooped those up. I know those long spoons come in handy.

Oh, I found this, and I'm thinking it might be good to put into my kitchen drawer for everyday use: http://hagertyusa.com/zippered-flatware ... wer-liner/
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I'd go nuts if I had to unzip a bag every time I wanted a spoon but maybe that's just me.

Silver doesn't tarnish when it gets used regularly.

Good find on the iced tea spoons. I got some of those too recently but, after all, I am in iced-tea (sweet tea) country. A side note - at one time, Alabama tried to get a tea-growing industry going in the southern part of the state. Something went wrong - I think it was the lack of cheap labor willing to harvest leaves - and the project was abandoned. Supposedly you can find huge old tea shrubs (Camellia sinensis) dotting the countryside in some areas. Camellias do very well in Alabama so it's no surprise their close relative does too.

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Oh good, I'm glad to hear that it won't tarnish on me while I'm using it. Maybe I could just keep some pieces in the kitchen for everyday use. Why is there 8 of everything except 16 teaspoons and 16 forks? I guess for dessert?

Yes, the Deep South has rubbed off on me -- I've lived in South Georgia for 12 years and I'm heading up to my house in Vermont on May 1st. Maybe that's why I was so drawn the the *sweet* tea spoons!

We were sent down here when hubby was in the Air Force, and I remember staring at the fields of cotton when we first got here -- just like in the movies!
1939 Minimal Traditional

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

some get crazy about place settings. I think you are supposed to arrange them in a certain order. forks on the left and something about smallest to largest or is it the reverse? I remember my evil sister who was nuts about silverware and she put it in the dishwasher with an aluminum sheet and some washing soda, claimed that would make it shine without taking off the plating too much. when time came to separate my parents stuff she did a quick handoff of the silverware to her son before we all had a chance to do it fairly so I called him up and told him he didn't own it. He returned it but it was a stupid situation that she created with her meanness. I wonder how many families fight over such stuff. She got the lions share but oh well.. I got some silverware ;-)
You can have weird reactions between metal. one is between certain types of stainless and steel. at work they made these stainless steel fish and stuck them all up on a wall. soon the bolts they used which were iron bled rust all over them and they realized they made a boo boo. it looked horrible. that was evidently a reaction between iron and stainless not just a rust stain. Maybe the bolts had a coating I couldn't see them using plain old iron but it wasn't the same metal type. in ocean going boats they use a sacrificial anode, it is supposed to cause a reaction and somehow saves the boat ( or ship) from a lot of corrosion by being there.

I keep putting aluminum stuff in the dishwasher sometimes it turns grey . this is some other reaction. not sure what I'm doing so wrong but I managed to make a nice thick aluminum pot look horrible that way.

You can't take me anywhere. I cut stuff with my fork and don't even feel guilty for it.

DavidP
Been here a while

Post by DavidP »

I too inherited my parents' flatware, which we did use on special occasions. I knew very little about such things, but it was fun to research what other items were available in the pattern and pick up some stuff on eBay and elsewhere.

What I've read suggests that you can put it in the dishwasher, but it's probably better to hand wash. Be particularly careful with the knives, since the dishwasher heat can (over time) cause the hollow handles to separate from the blades. It's true that regular use keeps tarnish at bay; the tarnish is just rubbed off through the act of handling and washing before it builds up. You can also get these anti-tarnish strips to keep in the chest. They help with pieces that you don't use much.

phil wrote:I think you are supposed to arrange them in a certain order. forks on the left and something about smallest to largest or is it the reverse?

It's easy: the utensils go in the order they will be used. If salad is served first, then the salad fork goes on the outside; if the salad comes last, the dinner fork goes outside. If you're at a fancy dinner, just take the utensils from the outside in. Spoons or forks for desert go above the plate.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote:You can't take me anywhere. I cut stuff with my fork and don't even feel guilty for it.

Phil, I'll give you a pass if it's pie. 8-)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I'll work for pie ;-)