victorian chair

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
phil
Has many leather bound books

victorian chair

Post by phil »

a while back I posted and replied to an ad featuring this big huge ornate couch. It was gone pretty quickly but I guess the lady saved my contact info and asked me if I'd like this chair that was a mate to the couch..
so I said yes and supposed to pick it up later today.

Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea on the era based on the style. I'm thinking it is Victorian so about 100 years old?

I have a second chair that is of similar style, not so ornately carved but it also has the wood running up around the back and fancy arms and legs. Ive had it on my bench a while as the arm needed some repair then I can start reupholstering it. I was waiting for some cloth that was suitable and found some that I think will suit it.

of course I'm probably going to be into doing the webbing restuffing and then the horeshair. The upholsery is all tacked down and I have been hesitating from messing with it until the woodwork part is finished.
I got some white canvas that I thought would do ok underneath before the fabric goes on.

this one doesn't look bad without upholstering.. she said she has the cushion but maybe she meant a separate pillow or something?

anyway It's exciting and best of all Free!
Attachments
chair
chair
chair.jpg (762.46 KiB) Viewed 2257 times

Gothichome

Re: victorian chair

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, I think it might be 160’ish years old. It has a late Rocco style to it. So maybe 1850/60 ish. The upholstery pattern is correct for the period but obviously has been replaced. I wonder why it didn’t get sold off with The settee. If part of a parlour set this would be considered a gentleman’s chair.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Nice!

phil

Post by phil »

I got it but I think its actually a repro from the 60'sor 70's or something. as soon as we turned it over I could see the wood underneath didn't appear as darkened as it should for something 100 years old.
It is nice solid true wood , Good wooden structure, proper springs. she said she has the cushion and promised I'd have it in a few weeks as it got sent away to one if the islands near here. fabric isn't too worn. I'm not crazy about the fabric color but Ill see how the cushion is and if it turns up as promised. I didn't get the whole history other than she had bought it used some time ago from the sally-ann. the giant couch had gone previously and she had loaned this chair to someone and was helping them move.
it's quite wide, could fit a heavier person.
I think it is machine made carving but still good quality.
The other chair I have is truly old and the two might look OK together That one I paid over $200 at auction in it's sorry looking state as a project, along with a bag of old horsehair. I should try to get a pic of the underside to show what I mean about the wood but it looked to light to be a true antique , to me. at least it ins't ikea or pottery barn style junk.

phil

Post by phil »

the couch that went with the chair is here, I posted about that a while back
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12351

and my real old chair looks like this.
Ive got the missing arm piece, I just need to spend the time to make it look nice, of course needs reupholstery but I think it's worthy of the time. Think I need to focus on the woodwork restoration first.
Attachments
old chair.JPG
old chair.JPG (671.25 KiB) Viewed 2236 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, the bones tell the story. I bet it was a very expensive set when new in the 60’s.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I'm thinking it's a mid/late 20th Century reproduction as well, loosely based on a Rococo Revival parlor set of the 1860s. The carvings look to be machine made. Even though mechanical advances began to be seen in the furniture manufacturing industry as early as the 1820s, ornate carving was still done by hand up through about 1900 or so. That said, it looks like a very well made piece.

I always associate Rococo Revival with the US Civil War since the styling was at its peak in that era, particularly in the North.

The one with the green upholstery looks like it may be European (likely French). Hard to tell exactly how old it is without seeing the construction of the frame, but I'd guess it's probably late 19th Century.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Chris from LH has a set that looks similar, I also thought it was much older than it was. It has a gangster connection. Maybe he’ll tell the story for those who were not with us in the OHW period.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Phil, I had a similar chair at the old house and my elderly antique dealer friend (who seemingly knows everything about antiques) said this Rococco style was popular in the 1930-40's, too. I think that is what you have here. There is a distinctive coloring/quality to the wood to these pieces.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

That green chair you have is a finer piece. Really gorgeous, actually. Look forward to seeing your restoration on that!