A Fine Antique Photo To Consider

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: A Fine Antique Photo To Consider

Post by GinaC »

Very interesting, thank you! I'm a diehard Jeep fan, but I love learning about old cars.

Semi-related: I recently watched this video about the Baker Electric Car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhnjMdzGusc
1939 Minimal Traditional

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Willa wrote:I don't know anything about this photo except that I found it online today. There are many amazing details to ponder:

tumblr_pmd1a2eKPS1sn9lzco1_1280.jpg

I pulled my book Carpenter Gothic from my book collection hoping I could identify your house in the photo, but to no avail. The book only has examples from New England, but it was worth a shot, right? If you're into gothic style houses it's a great book.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

GinaC wrote:Very interesting, thank you! I'm a diehard Jeep fan, but I love learning about old cars.

Semi-related: I recently watched this video about the Baker Electric Car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhnjMdzGusc

That Baker is pretty slick. You might be interested in the first Porsche electric (1898) and hybrid (1900)...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I always thought it strange that the US didn't follow the Brits with the left handed driving. It made more sense because that put the gear changing in the left hand leaving the stronger right hand available for steering which is obviously more important.
At this point it would be hard to change and most cars are automatic. Maybe back then gear changing was difficult without synchromesh. those old cars also had a lever for the distributor advance and retard.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

What a gorgeous home! I love the Edwardian era fashion too!