toy steam engine

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
phil
Has many leather bound books

toy steam engine

Post by phil »

I picked this up locally after my girlfriend spotted it and showed it to me. I couldn't resist ;-) my older brother had one the same. The memories came back and I guess I always liked it. It's missing a couple of bits. I only got half the smokestack and the valve for the whistle is missing but the company is still in business. Im wondering if I should just make the parts or buy new ones. It's made to burn little solid fuel pellets but I can burn other stuff in there or order them. some were electric evidently and I'm pondering over adding a electric heater or converting it to propane.
Just a fun toy. I was wondering how many others remembered playing with them.
It was fun to acquire it, makes me smile ;-) I remember my brother firing his up and he told me when it's hot he'll call me with the whistle to see it run.. I think he still has his too.
this one has a grey base. I think they switched to blue in later years. some of them have a bit more sophistication and you can get the little line shafting transmission and drills saws , forging hammer, jointers etc.. all cute toys. This one doesn't heave the power to run a lot of accessories...
the steam roller makes me laugh, what could go wrong with a kid and a toy with burning pellets that drives itself without really any steering ? ;-)
I think I'm regressing to my childhood now,, toot toot ;-)

here's the website where they still make these toys in Germany.
https://www.wilesco.de/en

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: toy steam engine

Post by GinaC »

Get a bunch of them and you can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXc5U54wyfc

And get a parrot and you can do this: https://imgur.com/gallery/7VS1hs0 This link is NSFW as it has bad language.
1939 Minimal Traditional

phil

Post by phil »

lol I had a friend that I worked with and he called me into work in this printshop. He had his macaw sitting just above where I was standing. I looked that way and realized he was there but he was really close, It startled me quite a bit. the thing was extremely intelligent and very naughty. when he ended the job, which didnt; take him too long he got a bill for damages ;-) I stayed over on his couch once after we had dome a day a crazy 36 hour shift and was too tired to drive. It woke me up banging on the cage, then when I looked it moved it's head side to side , it was taunting me. every time I put my head down it did the same. so I can see why it would love to ride a train, they love attention.

rather than train related, the toy represents a motor that would be used in a workshop, to run line shafting. Ive seen lots of machines like lathes and printing machinery that were converted to being motor driven but were initially powered by line shafting. the motor would run the line shafting and in those old shops all the machines would have belts that could be engaged to run off a long shaft powered by the steam motor.
after that they had stationary engines. My dad restored an old fairbanks morse engine with a waterpump that used to fill trains. we fired it up and it ran.. it fires once or twice every time it slows down and then when it gets up to speed it coats and fires every few strokes. I guess it fires constantly when its got a load.
Ive got an old printing press that was originally treadle powered but it can be run by line shafting. my brother has an old lathe that has a similar setup , made to be run off a leather belt from line shafting.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Oh wow! My mistake, I thought it was something that would be used at a railroad depot. So it's like a steam powered generator for whatever machinery you want to power?

So you're telling me you're into Steampunk now? ;)
1939 Minimal Traditional

phil

Post by phil »

before electric motors were mainstream , during the early parts of the industrial revolution there were no electric motors. Steam engines were invented first.
before steam , people used horses to plow fields.

when steam engines were installed, instead of the expensive motor being used for a single purpose they installed line shafting. the steam engine typically turned a shaft that ran across the shop. machines such as stamping machines, printing machinery, drill presses, etc were then run with belts off the mainshaft and clutches could engage the machines to run or de-clutch if they were stopped, but the shaft would run pretty much continuously.
they were used for single puropses, like the early cars, tractors, road building equipment, trains etc used an engine specific to one purpose.

later when electric motors were perfected, they were used more widely then the first would run the line shafting and later as motor production costs decreased each machine began to have its own motor..

steampunking is basically taking antiques and using the parts to make art, jewlery or to repurpose , things like making an old typewriter work as a keyboard so your friends go oh neato.. or putting fish in an old TV set. the drawback is that often antiques are destroyed this way and people aren't always very sensitive about preservation of antiquities, but sometimes , lets say if you found a part of an old machine that could be re-purposed in a different way, is it ok ? You can see the different viewpoints that result from it.. some have a restoration perspective and to others its just old junk finding a new purpose and there are a lot of variants.

I like steampunking because it's artistic and I enjoy re-purposing things but I'm sensitive about destroying antiques.. as an example I had an old printing press that was from long ago. I moved it about until one day I just said I don't have the space and it doesn't have value so I disassembled it. i use the stand it was on for my grinder table. I found some neat castings that can make neat wall brackets for a shelf..

this steam engine I bought is a toy from about 1965. its good to show people the principles of how a steam engine works. the little boiler is heated by burning pellets, the steam creates pressure , which is then fed to a little valve and so arranged so it pushes the piston out , exhausts the steam pressure, then returns with the flywheel driving it back. It is a very simple model. there is more sophistication that can be applied with better valving and such but it's good to show kids the basic principles of what is known of an external combustion engine..

something like a car or lawnmower uses an internal combustion engine, which is in some ways an advancement, except for the fact that they are actually really inefficient. Your car creates a huge amount of heat and we blow the heat energy away through the fan and radiator and that was known to be wasteful but gas was cheap. the engineering will again improve as we can't continue the pollution and also live on earth the way we do because it is not sustainable in our environment..

going to other planets like in star wars is kind of a pipe dream. most things are so far apart that even at the speed of light we'd never get there even in a lifetime and we don't yet even have machines that can travel that fast. the chances of perfecting travel at above light speeds with the little window of time humans have left before pollution kills our environment is quite a challenge and perhaps an impossibility.
Going faster than light is pretty well abstract science and may not be realistic ever. People like to think it's possible, maybe so? the problems came with the industrial revolution that's when we started to have the abilities to create huge environmental issues with our machines and at that time the problem of poisoning the earth seemed like an impossibility. I think I'm on to a different subject now ;-)

where I stand the wheel didn't even exist just a few generations ago. now we are here. I'm not sure if humans can care enough about the future of the environment to stop using the inventions that we are now so dependent on and it isn't easy to go backwards with science and invention.
the steam engine represents a time when things changed dramatically for us and machinery made it possible to have mass production of food and thing like that We now need to sustain our higher populations. In order for humans to co exist with nature we would need to bring upon dramatic change very quickly as the environmental issues are happening at an ever increasing rate an some say it's too late to stop the sequence of events.. some are more optimistic. My take on it is that this is just a sad reality. We can't even get governments to work together on enviro issues. We would need to find world cooperation.. your take on it might be different from mine. Its interesting how little we think about it and how we continue to live on ignoring the outcome we will face in another generation or two. that's a blink of the eye compared to human's existence on earth. Our great inventions perhaps caused more catastrophe than they were worth? I think we tend to live for now as humans we care about our lives , maybe the lives of our kids, and we never developed instincts that would care about future generations.. Maybe some have religious beliefs around that. I guess it isn't the place for religious debate and I do respect that others have completely different perspectives than mine.