Snazzy Vitrolite Deco Bathroom...

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Snazzy Vitrolite Deco Bathroom...

Post by Manalto »

Forgive me for piggybacking on this thread but I didn't want to start a whole new one for just this contribution.

In my hunt for a kitchen wall fixture, I stumbled upon this seller's listing. For those of you who are fond of the Art Deco style here's a little eye candy. (I searched "sconce" in the seller's items; searching "lamp" also brings up some interesting stuff.)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=l ... e&_sacat=0

Find anything for your Vitrolite bathroom?

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

That black vitrolite sure brings back memories for me.

In my 1933 apartment, I replaced the tub, tile, and sink with all black fixtures, including a pedestal sink. I put light green marble-look tile from Italy on all walls up to the ceiling -- placing the rectangular tiles horizontally. These were 10 foot ceilings. About 6 feet up I put a row of the same tile in black marble-look, and just underneath that row, a row of mirrors I had cut into 4 x 4 squares. It was a small bathroom, and the only reason I decided to put a pedestal sink in there was because the large linen closet was right outside in the hallway.

This was in the mid '90s, so black was still very fashionable at the time in NYC.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:Find anything for your Vitrolite bathroom?

That's a nice porcelain sconce. I had a pair of similar ones in the bathroom in my former house. We had candelabra bulbs, and a dimmer switch (nicer with low lights for a long soak).

I suppose you could get a small shade, like the kind that fit onto a standard bulb - that sort of clip on ?

I have been carting around this fixture since about 2006. I have not seen another porcelain fixture like it. It would look good with a dark ceiling color:

starfixture.jpg
starfixture.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 689 times

This vintage deco medicine cabinets with lights has been torturing me on Kijiji for months:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/london/vintage-mid-century-deco-recessed-in-wall-medicine-cabinet/1288245579?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I have no place for it but it would have been perfect for the powder room - which has an antique medicine cabinet there already. I wonder if your new pal Rose might have a similar one laying around ?

$_59-1.JPG
$_59-1.JPG (80.07 KiB) Viewed 689 times

If I could have anything I would have a fine Moderne house with Vitrolite bathrooms (plural) AND a Vitrolite kitchen. With colored fixtures, of course, including the kitchen sink.

Willa

Post by Willa »

GinaC wrote:That black vitrolite sure brings back memories for me.

In my 1933 apartment, I replaced the tub, tile, and sink with all black fixtures, including a pedestal sink. I put light green marble-look tile from Italy on all walls up to the ceiling -- placing the rectangular tiles horizontally. These were 10 foot ceilings. About 6 feet up I put a row of the same tile in black marble-look, and just underneath that row, a row of mirrors I had cut into 4 x 4 squares. It was a small bathroom, and the only reason I decided to put a pedestal sink in there was because the large linen closet was right outside in the hallway.

This was in the mid '90s, so black was still very fashionable at the time in NYC.

I had a friend in Toronto with a bathroom with (new) black fixtures, excluding the clawfoot tub. It was a daring and fashionable choice, with a glass brick window, and black and white tiles on the walls. Her bathroom was tiny, so the wall with the sink opposite the toilet and tub was entirely mirrored (chic for late 80's) but somewhat soul crushing as you unavoidably observed yourself on the toilet.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

That star-shaped porcelain ceiling fixture is really different. Agree on the need for a contrasting ceiling.

I've changed my mind about the sconce going in the kitchen. It just doesn't seem right. I did order a mica half-shade that will clip onto it, so after that investment, it's going somewhere - maybe the upstairs bath. In the kitchen, I'll either hang a wall lamp or find another hard-wired sconce for the spot, probably brass. I just want to get the lamp off the top of the cupboard in the corner; horizontal space in that room is way too precious to have it taken up by a lamp. I can't even use the top of the fridge because it's got the motor up there.

Funny you should mention a Deco bathroom mirror. I've got all the furnishings for that bathroom except for the mirror. (The one that's there now is rusty, beat up and nothing special to begin with.) I will ask Rose to keep an eye out. Since I've been dealing with her, I can't help but think of this:

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Willa wrote:I had a friend in Toronto with a bathroom with (new) black fixtures, excluding the clawfoot tub. It was a daring and fashionable choice, with a glass brick window, and black and white tiles on the walls. Her bathroom was tiny, so the wall with the sink opposite the toilet and tub was entirely mirrored (chic for late 80's) but somewhat soul crushing as you unavoidably observed yourself on the toilet.

Haha, that's why I put my row of mirrors at around 6 feet. I'm 5'6" so all I saw was the top of my big hair.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Willa

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:
I've changed my mind about the sconce going in the kitchen. It just doesn't seem right. I did order a mica half-shade that will clip onto it, so after that investment, it's going somewhere - maybe the upstairs bath. In the kitchen, I'll either hang a wall lamp or find another hard-wired sconce for the spot, probably brass. I just want to get the lamp off the top of the cupboard in the corner; horizontal space in that room is way too precious to have it taken up by a lamp. I can't even use the top of the fridge because it's got the motor up there.

_DSC0004.jpeg
_DSC0004.jpeg (571.38 KiB) Viewed 680 times

This is what I have over my sink. The shape of that fixture is another odd one. I had been looking for a fixture with a milk glass shade, and that was the least expensive ($ 30.00 CAN) one that I could find locally. It works well as task lighting, usually over a sink or stove.

Didn't you find a milk glass shade for one of these fixtures for dirt cheap some time ago ? I even have a porcelain sconce fixture for this type of light - but no shade and it is missing the part that screws into the part that holds the lightbulb to hold the shade on. If you have that part then you'd have a sconce ? I can send you a pic of the fixture if you are interested ?

The porcelain fixtures like this were very common in kitchens and bathrooms. I think the more candle type sconce - like the one you just bought - were more common in baths only.