Hunzinger chair at ReStore ?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Hunzinger chair at ReStore ?

Post by Willa »

I saw this chair at the ReStore yesterday and went back in a panic this a.m. to buy it. $ 65.00 CAN

It's in frail condition and needs the frame tightened up, the springs retied and new upholstery.

I have looked all over the frame but could not find a label or stamp. It sure looks like a Hunzinger, though ?

http://hunzinger.blogspot.com/2006/11/superb-chair.html#gpluscomments

_DSC0033.jpg
_DSC0033.jpg (995.69 KiB) Viewed 1089 times

Pics of a Hunzinger that came and went from Ebay some years ago:

HZ1a.jpg
HZ1a.jpg (20.43 KiB) Viewed 1089 times

HZ1c.jpg
HZ1c.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 1089 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Hunzinger chair at ReStore ?

Post by phil »

wow ! that is really striking. Thanks for sharing. No idea on price but it looks so unusual it must be valuable.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

What a find! Good eye.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I think you stole it at $65. its probably worth lots to collectors of that style of furniture but also there are a lot of people just into weird gothic looking stuff like the steampunking crowd and those who like to collect zany old medical equipment. That would fit easily anywhere. A lot of that style of furniture is huge and uncomfortable looking so while it is often attractive and neat looking it doesn't fit well into compartment living. That does. Its more of a decorative conversation piece than it is practical. I bet you could put a 0 behind it and flip it if you wanted.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, well done. I would be happy at twice the price. It does look Hunzinger, if not it has a pretty good Hunzinger feel to it. renaissance revival, ten years either side of 1880 I think. Phill, I have collected a zany manual vacuum cleaner. That qualifies as a perfect fit in Gothichome.

Willa

Post by Willa »

I found another pic of an identical chair. If mine isn't a Hunzinger, it is sure a very detailed copy. My chair seems to have had some tinkering with the seat ? It seems thicker and higher. The upholstery material is attached with tacks, so I expect it was last done pre 1970 or so ? Then there were some home made adjustments like the dustcloth below attached with stationary staples.

Any advice on dealing with antique furniture restoration types ? I know some people want their antiques to look brand new (not me) but this definitely needs an experienced professional to properly tighten/glue it. I would prefer the finish to be left as is.

I have never had a piece restored before. Are there questions I should ask ? There is a local place that has a portfolio online, and is an established business. When I called them, they didn't want me to email a photo - they wanted me to bring the chair in to give an accurate quote.

Hunzinger_Chair.jpg
Hunzinger_Chair.jpg (19.88 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

More info about Hunzinger designs:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/furniture-of-the-future/

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

You did well at $65. Very interesting styling with Renaissance and Eastlake influences. I'd agree it's about 1880-ish. The fabric looks like it's from the 1950s.

As for restoration, any joints that are coming apart should be re-glued with hide glue and clamped to dry. The finish looks good and may look better with a little cleaning. I always take a minimalist approach with furniture restoration. I only refinish a piece if it is so far gone nothing can be done. Be careful with having someone else work on it. I've seen many "professionals" destroy pieces.

As for being an original Hunzinger, I'd say it likely is, or it's a very well done copy from the same era.

Willa

Post by Willa »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:Be careful with having someone else work on it. I've seen many "professionals" destroy pieces.

Are there any questions I should ask a furniture restorer, or particular red flags ?

I am leery of unprofessional "professionals" who just don't get it, or have a different value system for what a reasonable and sympathetic repair is.

I am thinking back to an upholstery shop where the owner (not a properly schooled upholsterer) didn't like antiques, and therefore did zero research about how antique pieces should properly be reupholstered. Like viable horsehair was thrown in the trash to be replaced by foam with a 20 yr lifespan, giant gold upholstery tacks were used where none should be, etc. $ 200.00/yd designer upholstery fabric can't make up for these mistakes.

The shop I am thinking about has photos of refinished/repaired antiques on their site, photos of the repairs in progress, etc. Of course I am hoping they are actually photos from that shop !

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Hawkeye strikes again! It's great you found this interesting chair and that it's now in your capable hands. I'm a little jealous of your (and others' here) ability to identify these gems and foresee how they will integrate into your home.

I think what 1918 is saying is that gluing the joints is within your capacity as someone who is not a professional restorer - and that you will be careful with any finish restoration or clean-up - whereas professional restorers, who are doing it as a business, will - unless you pay dearly - be expedient because time for them is money. Also, if you take a light touch with 0000 steel wool and some wax you may be satisfied with the results. If the upholstery is out of your skill set, then it makes sense to put it into the hands of someone who you feel you can trust. It sounds like the shop you're thinking of is that kind of place - they're proud of their work. Doing some of the preparation yourself will cut down on the cost by having them focus only on the upholstery, for example, or any aspect you aren't comfortable tackling yourself.

As far as questions for the restorer, I'd ask them what their process would be with restoration of this particular chair. I'd explain that you appreciate the patina of age. Their answer will tell you how careful they will be, what materials they will use (of course you don't want to hear the words "polyurethane" or "epoxy") and how much pride they will take in the result.

If that chair were mine, when it's restored I'd only let ancient 80-pound ladies sit on it! ;-)

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

James basically said what I was getting at. Since it's yours and you appreciate it, you will be much more careful with it than many restoration shops. And a lot of the professional chemicals and adhesives can end up doing more harm than good, especially to wood joints.

For cleaning the wood, I'd use some #0000 steel wool dampened in naphtha for the dirtier parts. The rest can be cleaned with an automotive hand cleaner, such as Gojo cream (NOT the kind with pumice in it). The naphtha cleaning may leave a bit of a residue behind, which can be taken off with some warm water and Murphy oil soap. After cleaning, touch up any areas that need it, apply some paste wax and buff it out and you're done.