Need another set of eyes...

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Need another set of eyes...

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I love this, but as I've pointed out before, I'm not good at telling if stuff is authentic or reproduction. What do you guys think?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 9309308208

Also, I found this at an antique/junk store for $20. I haven't quite figured out how old it is, or whether it's a ceiling or wall fixture. And I'm thinking it isn't supposed to have globes, because of the decorations. Would it have just had bare bulbs?

I have a thing for old light fixtures and lamps, and my family thinks it's hilarious. I don't think I have a problem, though--do you?
Bonnie

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Need another set of eyes...

Post by Willa »

The FB pic looks to be a 1920's ceiling fixture, possibly cast iron or cast metal something(some were spelter, others aluminum).

Many of those fixtures did not have shades. For $40.00 it looks decently complete. They look nice with the flame shaped bulbs, and a dimmer switch helps with the full on bare bulb thing.

Is there a 2nd pic that is missing ? (The $ 20.00 one )

See, I think something like the FB fixture is a good thing to snap up. The price is reasonable, it's not missing parts. You can install it, and when/if you find something you like better you can sell it or trade it for at least what you paid for it.

Of course if you have a garage full of 200+ similar light fixtures, bought with similar economy then never used, traded or sold - then pass and get some help !

39467725_10216137918576592_6400907052490686464_n.jpg
39467725_10216137918576592_6400907052490686464_n.jpg (43.6 KiB) Viewed 740 times

39522089_10216137943217208_3006942355237371904_n.jpg
39522089_10216137943217208_3006942355237371904_n.jpg (75.83 KiB) Viewed 740 times

awomanwithahammer

Oh! Yes, there was supposed to be a picture attached. Doh!

Bonnie

awomanwithahammer

Willa wrote:Of course if you have a garage full of 200+ similar light fixtures, bought with similar economy then never used, traded or sold - then pass and get some help !

Are you speaking from some experience, Willa?
Bonnie

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

awomanwithahammer wrote:
Willa wrote:Of course if you have a garage full of 200+ similar light fixtures, bought with similar economy then never used, traded or sold - then pass and get some help !

Are you speaking from some experience, Willa?

Well, I'll admit to a surplus of several light fixtures - meaning under 10 - in my stash. I am waiting on dealing with my back porch which should use up a couple of fixtures, and there are a couple that need rewiring, and a couple that will be harvested for parts. At least that is my excuse ?

The $ 20.00 fixture looks like a porcelain one, but I'm unsure if it is a ceiling or sconce type fixture. These were common in kitchens and bathrooms. Yours looks like it could be from the 1920's - 50's, though I am guessing probably 30's with the slightly odd deco/floral motif combo ?

awomanwithahammer

Yeah, 1930s was my thought as well, and you're right, it is porcelain. Around here, many houses didn't get electricity until TVA came into being in the 30s, so it was not unusual to have fixtures with bare bulbs hanging from the ceiling, which makes me think it was a ceiling fixture. I haven't the vaguest idea where I'll use it, but it was so interesting and unusual I couldn't resist. I actually think it would be really pretty as a wall sconce over a vanity, with bare frosted bulbs maybe?

I'm going to pick up the other light fixture today to add to my stash, which will bring my total up to--hmmm, I don't really know how many, probably 10-15. But I know I'll kick myself if I don't get it.
Bonnie

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

awomanwithahammer wrote:...a wall sconce over a vanity, with bare frosted bulb...

That was what I thought, too, given my aversion for overhead lighting for anything other than manual labor. There are also clip-on half-shades that might work if the glare is too much.

awomanwithahammer wrote:...add to my stash, which will bring my total up to--hmmm, I don't really know how many, probably 10-15. But I know I'll kick myself if I don't get it.

You know the old saying, "You can never be too rich or too thin or have too many lighting fixtures."

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Bonnie, both lights mid thirties into early forties. Or there about.
http://www.oldhouselights.com/antique_l ... _frame.htm

http://www.oldhouselights.com/antique_l ... _frame.htm

Great find, and an even better prices. I have seen the porcelain lights sell fully restored for well over the $20 mark. I think the first link to the Sears catalogue (bottom right) is the exact one you now own.
Why can’t I ever find such great deals :cry:

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Good sleuthing, Ron. It's the Dresden "two-light ceiling fixture" (D). The center hardware is a little different. I think globe bulbs like that are still available, if you wanted to.

awomanwithahammer

Oh, my gosh, you're right, Ron, it is exactly the same except for the finial! That's so exciting, thanks for including the link. It definitely needs rewiring. It was priced at $30, and I asked if there was any kind of sale. The clerk said, well, she could go down to $25. I asked if she could do $20, and she agreed! I was pleased, because I'm not the greatest at negotiating. And I was hoping it was worth at least $20! :happy-partydance:

Unfortunately, I think I missed out on the other light fixture. Somebody else is getting it. Oh, well, at least I got something good.
Bonnie