Need another set of eyes...

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Need another set of eyes...

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Both are originals. The hanging one is roughly 1925-1930. It never had shades - there would have been gold frosted bulbs used with it most likely. This one looks like it was repainted at some point.

As Gothichome said, the flush mount ceramic lights were at their peak around the mid '30s, though they were made for longer. People often put these in bathrooms, kitchens, pantries, or laundry areas. They're not rare, but it's nice to find one that hasn't had paint slopped over it.

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

As it turns out, I did get the hanging light! It's really pretty, even though it probably has been repainted.

The lady I bought it from is selling her house, which is not old, but she had purchased this light and one other from an antique store. A friend convinced her to "update" her light fixtures, meaning go down to Lowe's and buy generic stuff. Anyway, she still has this one installed in her hallway but will be replacing it soon and will let me know:
You can imagine how excited I was when I saw it! I'm thinking '20s on this one. I don't know if the paint is original, but I think it was either Corsetiere or Willa that was talking about painting details on them. Anyway, I wondered if anyone on here would be interested in it? I think she is going to ask the same amount ($40) for this fixture, which seems like an extremely reasonable price to me. Even with shipping, I think it would be a bargain. Corsetiere, Willa, Lily, Ron, 1918, James, any takers? It looks like it could belong in one of your houses. You know I'm going to have to buy it and put it in my stash anyway!
Bonnie

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

That one's the same era as the other hanging one, though if I were to try to guess a narrower date field, I'd say 1928-30 on this one. You can see some early Art Deco influence in this one.

It's a little too new for my house, but hopefully someone can use it.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well isn’t that a pretty fixture, I agree mid to late thirties very slightly into the fourties. It’s too new for our home as well , not only that all our ceiling hooks are full.

awomanwithahammer

Gothichome wrote:... not only that all our ceiling hooks are full.

:lol:

No problem. I got a taker!
Bonnie

awomanwithahammer

After a good look at the 5-light fixture, I don't think it was painted, 1918. I think the cream finish is original; it looks baked on, and it is a little chipped, but that doesn't bother me.
Bonnie