Oil Tanks

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
beui
Just Arrived

Oil Tanks

Post by beui »

Hi All,

I have two oil tanks in my basement that are no longer used. The house has been converted to NG and I would like them removed as they are just using space. I believe they are original to the house, so c.1920 and appear to be in very good shape. The problem I have is the Bilco entrance has been filled. Do they have any value or should I just hire someone to cut them up and remove them in pieces? They have this tag on them
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LexpJ9LFwqXV9cxA9

Dennis

Edit: Seems the img tag didn't work, so I changed it to a link.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Oil Tanks

Post by phil »

you could check in your area , here the fire department keeps a list of the ones that were removed and it would be beneficial to add it to the list if yours does.

My thoughts are that it seems unlikely it has much value. Be careful if you cut it with a torch or zip disc as there may still be flammable material in there or who knows what. You are lucky if it wasn't buried.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

If I were you, I would snag the old label plate as a keepsake. I don't know if you like such historical bits to stay with the house, but if I had an artifact like that still about, I would. (Our still in use tank is a recent replacement though I don't know how old.)

Definitely ask your insurance company if their removal will help your rate as well. I wouldn't have even thought of that if Phil hadn't mentioned the fire department call, which makes complete sense too. :icon-idea:

edit: I meant to also say, even if someone is willing to pay the value for this item of the past intact, would it cover the cost to reopen/close the hole out of the cellar at minimum? (If you want it still filled in, that is.)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

beui
Just Arrived

Post by beui »

Thanks, Phil and Lily!

I will save the plates and attach them to the wall and I'll check with the fire department and see what they have to say.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Is it oil tanks they cut lengthwise to make barbecue pits? (2, I guess)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the fire department might help with ideas to reduce any fire hazard. filling it with water comes to mind but then it'll leak as you cut and it is hard to cut a water filed tank with a cutting torch. I'm wondering if they were to empty a fire extinguisher in the tank, or maybe you could purge it by filling and dumping alcohol and then use water to get the alcohol out or something? I'm not sure what is safe but I'd check into that further, even a sawzall with a metal blade might make sparks. I'm sure there is a safe technique. the obvious concern is that a fire inside a pressure vessel might be like a bomb essentially, even though it obviously Isn't pressurized. maybe an inert gas or CO2? dry ice? please ask someone that knows more!
I think if you had the right mixture of air to fuel in there and you did spark it , there is a possibility of a catastrophe. the fire department is your best resource here.They will care about this a lot.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

phil wrote:the fire department might help with ideas to reduce any fire hazard.
Phil, ya keep seeming to have missed his first post where he said...
beui wrote:Do they have any value or should I just hire someone to cut them up and remove them in pieces?

I only point it out because you keep talking about him doing it himself. :whistle:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

there is quite a stong chance that there is oil still in them. Usually you have to pay an oil company to pump and remove any residual oil before you remove a tank - yes they charge you to do it and no they don't give you money for the oil in my experience. An HVAC engineer / plumber who does oil systems should be able to advise and or remove.

If there is any quantity of oil left in there it is best to get it removed as condensation inside the tank runs down into the oil over the years and sinks to the bottom where it slowly rusts the tank. Eventually the tank will spring a leak and start to seem oil out onto the floor (or whatever is below the tank).

Given the age of these they may be empty and stable - but good to check
Mick...

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Oil is lighter than water, so the water will settle at the bottom of the tank. Most tanks have a valve on the bottom for the purpose of draining the condensation. I have oil heat and I do mine once a year, plus add some fuel stabilizer to the tank after I drain the water.

Heating oil isn't flammable as a liquid. If you drop a match in a container of heating oil, the match will go out. It becomes flammable when it is aerated through a nozzle, such as that in a burner. The fuel/air mixture is ignited by an ignition transformer, which is basically a spark generator. Contrary to popular belief, heating oil is safer than natural gas or propane.

As for the tanks, after verifying they are empty, I'd advertise them on Craigslist for free to someone who is willing to remove them. Scrap steel is only about 5 cents a pound, so it's not like they're worth a fortune as scrap.

beui
Just Arrived

Post by beui »

I believe they're empty. There are gauges on top that indicate they're empty, although it's possible the gauges don't work. While I don't know for certain I think the boiler was switched to NG in the 70's, so they've not had oil added for quite some time.

Lily is correct, I'm not going to do it; I'll hire someone.

I appreciate all the advice!