Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Pretty Victorian Lamp

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I'm a sucker for slag-glass; those first two are nice.

With your luck, you'll have the perfect shade by the end of the week! ;-)

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Gothichome wrote:Phil, you are correct, it is Art Neveau, the fluted shaft is a great indicator, but the egg and dart detail at the base would indicate to me a remnant of Victorian tastes. That’s what I based my thought of teens to early twenties. Sort of a mix, the manufacture hedging thier bets.

Definitely an eclectic mix. The fluted profile is Art Nouveau, but the decorative elements are Neoclassical. That's what I love about early 20th Century styling - almost nothing falls into one single category.

It could be a little earlier, maybe 1915-20, but what made me say late '20s to very early '30s is the socket. It has threads for an Uno shade fitter, which was patented around 1912 and became popular in the mid 1910s, but a 1910s socket would either have a paddle switch or a pull chain. I believe the push button socket first appeared in the late 1920s, around 1927 if memory serves me correct. Even though Art Deco was well on its way to the mainstream by this time, the Neoclassical styling still held on through the first few years of the Great Depression and didn't begin falling out of favor in earnest until around the time of the 1933 World's Fair.