Pretty Victorian Lamp

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Pretty Victorian Lamp

Post by Corsetière »

My spidey sense helped me score another great little deal! I found a sweet little antique lamp for $2 this weekend! It even has it's finial. I'm not quite sure what shape the shade should be. Anyone have ideas?

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Pretty Victorian Lamp

Post by Manalto »

I wish I had a sliver of your finding-old-stuff karma.

If you're going to use it in the boo-dwah, an ecru silk shade in the classic bell shape.

If you're going to use it in the parlor, the same shade, as above, in a dark silk or an inverted bowl of leaded glass or shells.

Those are the ideas that occurred to me for some inexplicable reason.

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

That's a boudoir lamp and it looks to be 1920s or early 1930s vintage. Most of these had small shades, usually paper or cloth, though I have seen them with mica shades. A few of the more ornate ones had slag glass shades, but this doesn't look like one of them.

Nice save!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:I wish I had a sliver of your finding-old-stuff karma.

I've been going to sales like it is my art time job lately and I've been on a real roll - to the point where I am thinking that if it keeps up, I may need to start flipping things pretty soon. :lol:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, nice lamp. I agree with 1918, a smaller lamp for a bedroom or maybe a smaller side room. But I think it’s a decade earlier. 1918 may be correct taking into account the push button switch, earlier lamps te need to have a key type switch. As 1918 suggests it may have had any sort of period shade. The height of the harp may suggest a longer shade.
Looking at the lighting catalogues in the reference section of the District shows your style of lamp from the 1910 catalogue.
Irregardless of the year it is a great lamp, and I do like the price. I certainly hope your bank was close by to withdraw that huge amount of money.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Corsetière wrote:
Manalto wrote:I wish I had a sliver of your finding-old-stuff karma.

I've been going to sales like it is my art time job lately and I've been on a real roll - to the point where I am thinking that if it keeps up, I may need to start flipping things pretty soon. :lol:

That's why we have high ceilings , so when we walk over the piles we don't hit our heads. It is also insurance against ever wanting to move again ;-)

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Corcetiere, nice lamp. I agree with 1918, a smaller lamp for a bedroom or maybe a smaller side room. But I think it’s a decade earlier. 1918 may be correct taking into account the push button switch, earlier lamps te need to have a key type switch. As 1918 suggests it may have had any sort of period shade. The height of the harp may suggest a longer shade.
Looking at the lighting catalogues in the reference section of the District shows your style of lamp from the 1910 catalogue.
Irregardless of the year it is a great lamp, and I do like the price. I certainly hope your bank was close by to withdraw that huge amount of money.

Great info thanks! Yeah I was having hard time picturing the shade since the harp is so long. Lol! Yes the sum I paid was staggering. From the $5 Seth Thomas clock guy.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

no expert but I'd call it Art Neveau ? maybe a modern day glass blower could make a neat shade to suit?

I was doing a search for ideas for craftsman style lamps and got to thinking one could easily make mica shades with wooden parts as the housing. you can still get the mica. maybe some brass trim bits rivits, and creativity could come into play.

for me , I couldn't see making cloth covers but some do. some sewing skills would help.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Phil, you can also buy lead came at a stained-glass supplier for mica. It's easy to work with. Copper foil (also from stained-glass suppliers) is finer and requires more skill.

Larissa, why not make a shade?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phil, you are correct, it is Art Neveau, the fluted shaft is a great indicator, but the egg and dart detail at the base would indicate to me a remnant of Victorian tastes. That’s what I based my thought of teens to early twenties. Sort of a mix, the manufacture hedging thier bets.