Latest Organ Restoration

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: Latest Organ Restoration

Post by Casey »

Gothichome wrote:Casey, another example of your great work and attention to detail. I noticed you got most of the slots on your fasteners growing in the same direction. How do you get the keys so white, I would expect them to have been ivory?

The screws there are in the same direction because those parts get regulated later on for fine adjustment, so it's just how I put them in. They will be underneath the upper keyboard and never seen.
The keys are celluloid, and I clean them by wet-sanding with 1500 & 2000 grit paper, then polish with a x-fine rubbing compound. I lightly sand the wood keysticks to get the embedded dirt off. Then steel wool to pull out the sanding dust.
I polish the screws by chucking them into a cordless drill and removing the scaly rust with sandpaper, then fine sandpaper and finally a tiny wire wheel brush in the dremel tool, all while the screw itself is spinning in the drill. For screws that will be on the outside of the cabinet, I further shine them up with jeweler's rouge.
I have actually heard a few sounds from her, but there are a few roadblocks that I need to overcome until she can be assembled and then regulated and finally tuned; and I'm not even going to mention the refinishing.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Casey, celluloid was a relatively new product when your instrument was made, any thoughts on why celluloid over traditional Ivory? I highly dought they had elephant conservation in mind at the time.

Casey

Post by Casey »

Gothichome wrote:Casey, celluloid was a relatively new product when your instrument was made, any thoughts on why celluloid over traditional Ivory? I highly dought they had elephant conservation in mind at the time.

You virtually never see a reed organ with ivory after 1881. Celluloid was probably thought of as a modern marvel. In reality, it was cheaper and more dependable; look at the supply chain for elephant ivory, vs. making celluloid from a few basic ingredients anywhere at all.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Its good if the celluloid is stable. I think a lot of the time it sort of self decomposes, turns brittle , shrinks and cracks.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

casey, your work is top of the line impressive...always amazed!

I orient all slotted screws (we don't use phillips) horizontally for a neat appearance...

......jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jade, orient screws horizontally eh, no wonder my door hinges look wrong, i’ve Been orienting them vertically. :doh:

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

don't change a thing gothic! it's all about preference....
years ago someone mentioned to me that slotted screws on rifle
sites were oriented vertically for better aim--or some such thing...
I just researched on line and all I got was guns guns and more guns
and I am not a gun person....
anyone here knowledgeable about this claim?
thanks....
....jade

Casey

Post by Casey »

heartwood wrote:casey, your work is top of the line impressive...always amazed!

I orient all slotted screws (we don't use phillips) horizontally for a neat appearance...

......jade

You are too kind. These hinge screws were "indexed" from new (that's what having the slots oriented the same way is properly called) , I had to keep the screws in order so they could go back in correctly.
DSC03800.JPG
DSC03800.JPG (2.05 MiB) Viewed 693 times

DSC03801.JPG
DSC03801.JPG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 693 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I don't think its professional to ignore torque in order to have screws aligned. It might even be a sign of insanity ;-) technically If there is a nut then you can have the right torque and align the screws but not the case with wood screws. I met an electrician that tightened each screw on cover plates to align vertically.. good god ;-) maybe that's the difference between a millwright an an electrician..
Its kind of a running joke.. because I work a lot with electricians.. there is a series of these videos.

WARNING please don't click the link if you are in a place where a whole lot of swearing offends you or the people around you.. If you dont mind all the swearing and you have a really bent sense of humor it's pretty funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kn-XXNCG8o

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, that gave me a chuckle as a journeyman HD I always saw mill Wright’s as mechanics who don’t like to get dirty and electricians as those who don’t like to lift heavy things. When in reality with today’s machines all three trades often blend. Oh the ribbing between trades it keeps us smiling.